1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out to a teen boy

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by looking for me, Apr 12, 2014.

1. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    when your older, and his dad?

it's been a hell of a ride with his mom due to mental health issues and self destructive behavior on her part which is why I'm a single parent now.

so how do i do this with out putting him through another roller coaster ride? any suggestions, experience?

thanks

2. IG88

Depending on how he feels about LGBT people, the news could be better, same, or worse compared to his mother's behavior. If you think that his reaction could be worse, then it may be best to not tell him for now. Unless you plan on getting a boyfriend in the near future, then I don't see any reason for him or anyone else to know.

But, it would be something that would make your relationship with your son more open and truthful. If there is a roller coaster ride, let's hope it's a short one.

3. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i think he's ok with LGBT people, still makes sterotypical teen jokes but i advise him that those jokes are offensive to some people,not just LGBT people and he makes an effort to learn and not offend folks.

i'm afraid to put him on an emotional trip again since he is adjusting well to me and my wife splitting last summer, the split wasn't related to my current questioning status and we will be divorced by the end of this summer, i hope.

so who has come out to a kid, mid teens, in a single parent household.

it is getting hard to hold all this in, but i do know i have to keep a lid on things till the divorce and custody is settled. he wants to stay with me because his school, friends, etc are here she lives in the city about 100 kilometers away, by the way i live in a small town so that is a concern for me for him too.

4. IG88

That's smart to wait to tell anyone until the divorce and everything is finalized. As for him saying the usual gay jokes, it's normal. I have friends who say "that's so gay" carelessly, and I want to say something, but obviously I don't want to draw attention to myself. :/

Maybe it won't be that big of emotional trip for him. It kind of seems like it is for you, especially if it's bothering you. I have no experience with raising kids, but it sounds like you're doing a fine job! Even if in the future you come out to your son, it could start with just you two knowing, and the rest of the town or his mom don't have to know. It's your call...good luck!