1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First negative reaction to coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LiquidSwords, Apr 13, 2014.

1. LiquidSwords

Drunk in mcdonald's I thought it would be a good idea, but he was really weird about it straight away, said he didn't believe me so went over to another friend who doesn't know yet and asked/told him, which made me angry so we got into an argument and bouncer had to warn us to calm down.

I can't remember exactly what he said apart from just generally not being very cool with it, looking disgusted when I answered that I like guys instead of girls, and repeating that it's "a spanner in the works" many times, strangely; I don't know what he meant by this.

The argument got even more heated and I think we ended calling each other cunts and he stormed off. He rang me half an hour or so later when I was walking home to apologise, except he didn't really, and when I hung up I couldn't stop crying.

Everyone I've told so far before this has been completely fine and supportive about it so it shook me a bit, knocked my confidence to tell new people too which had been building.

I am basically just ranting and feeling sorry for myself here, but do you think it's one of those things where he'll come round in time, or what?

#1 LiquidSwords, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  2. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No idea. (*hug*)

3. Emmanuella

I'm not going to say "if he doesn't come around the friendship wasn't worth it"... because that doesn't usually help anything... so hopefully he will talk to your other friends and begin to realize what a jerk he's been! Then maybe a real apology will follow....

4. RedDev84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Only you know how the situation went, but "drunk in mcdonalds" "I can't remember what he said".

I presume you were probably both drunk. I dont think alcohol is an excuse for his actions if I'm honest. But do you find it possible his reaction was just a load of drunk gargling nonsense?
    This might also explain the weird response about the spanner in the works.

Let it play out a bit. Either way, he owes you an apology for outing you and also his response. If his response was his true feelings, then although I agree with the post above me that it's no help, that guy isn't a good friend.

5. LiquidSwords

Thanks you three!

He messaged me monday to ask if I was actually being serious because he still didn't fully believe me :confused: So I said yes and he said thanks for telling him but only because he'd "rather know," so I think he's still a bit weird about it.

But, we saw each other today in a group and he didn't act much differently towards me than normal. We didn't actually talk about it though and I'm thinking an apology is unlikely, but still acting normally around me is a good sign I guess. I'll just have to give it time I suppose.

Thanks again :slight_smile: