1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out Letter to Mum

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ShadowHopper, Apr 14, 2014.

1. ShadowHopper

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So im currently at home for 2 weeks, i live away at University, and I really want to tell my mum that I am gay while I am at home as I see people at University get into relationships and I really want to be like that as well. The only problem is that I am awful at confrontation so I thought I would leave her a letter the day I go back to University so I can just get it over and done with. So id really appreciate it if you guys could have a look at the letter and see what you think.

Mum,

Before I continue with this letter I just want you to know that I don’t want you to feel upset or hurt that I didn’t come to you in person to tell you this, it’s just that I feel as though I can do it this way without chickening out beforehand, you know what I’m like with confrontation.

Even though you probably already know, I am gay. All my friends know and my housemates know and they are all fine and have no problems with it and they are all very supportive. I’d like you to know that I have come to terms with it and I’m not ashamed of it, I have had no trouble from anyone about it and I hope that my family will be the same.

When you are ready, if you want to, I am more than happy to talk to you about it and answer any questions you might have about it. Ever since I’ve gone to Uni the urge to tell you has been getting stronger but I thought that this would be the best way of doing it since I can’t chicken out at the last second.

Love,
    George xxx

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Might I suggest changing the word 'confrontation' to something like 'difficult conversation' or 'things like this'. It seems less like you think she wants to fight you!

It should do what you need it it to :slight_smile:

3. ShadowHopper

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you, I have changed it.