1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to a friend of mine

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Typhoon, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I care about him a lot but I've had negative experiences coming out. I still haven't told my parents yet as they are homophobic and I'm waiting for their mentality to change but I wanted to tell a friend of mine but the issue is I'm scared he might interpret this as a way of saying that I like him. Unfortunately this happened with another friend of mine.

I'm a big guy, so no one would ever say anything to my face but this person I confided in once, stopped replying to me ever since he left the country (he was an erasmus student) despite the fact that we had been very close, I could tell that he seemed to avoid contact when he could and when he left he was just gone. He was extremely good-looking, but I actually wasn't in to him. He was my friend and I loved him as a friend, but when I told him I was gay he might have thought I liked him :/

This guy I know I want to come out to, should I risk telling him? If I do, just to be safe, should I tell him that I'm not into him (unfortunately in his case, I have a small inexplicable crush, so it would not be entirely true) to be on the safe side?

I know for a fact he dislikes the Westboro Baptist Church. Does it mean he might be accepting?

I would appreciate some help :frowning2:

2. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

Hi there! You could try bringing up LGBT-related issues and ask his opinion. If his response is positive then go for it. Good luck:slight_smile: Also, I wouldn't bring up how you feel about him right after. Best to leave that alone unless he brings it up. Hope this helps you some.

3. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thank you, yes there actually is a topic I could bring up, which has been controversial across the country so he probably wouldn't suspect anything right then.

I don't know, the impression I get from a lot of straight people is that if you're gay and they're the same sex as you, then you're probably into them if you're their friend and I experienced this first hand. Lost a good friend of mine in the process so I'm really anxious as to whether he'll end up thinking I like him (which would not be far from the truth) should I eventually tell him.

4. Butterfly72

Ok, admit it you do like him :slight_smile: But if you are afraid that you may lose him as a friend you could say you have a crush on someone else and you are not sure if you should go for it. So you are telling him but also protecting him from your worry that he may think you fancy him. What ya think?

5. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

I'm sorry about your friend. His loss. If your are really worried about it, can I give you a senario? If you bring up a topic and he's cool with it then...

You: The reason I asked you is because... I'm gay. And I wanted to know your thoughts about gay people.
    Friend: I'm glad you told me. I'm totally okay with it. Um.. do you have feelings for me by any chance?
    You: Yes. But I know that you are straight and I respect that.

It's a really tricky subject so I can't promise even if you tell him you have a small crush on him that he will be okay with still being your friend. It's like that with straight people all the time. Again, I would only bring it up if he asks.

6. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Oddly enough he's not the type I'd fall for, and more than once I wondered if he was a closeted homosexual. Yes I do like him, unfortunately. I don't know why, first we were just friends, then I realized a bit too late that somehow I had fallen for him, in ways I could not explain.

In the case of the other person I mentioned, it was not the case. We were very close, he was definitely very good-looking but he was a good friend, not my crush, so I was rather hurt when he intentionally avoided all contact after he left.