1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not sure what to say

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by seerofvoid, Apr 14, 2014.

1. seerofvoid

I've already come out to my cousin and my mom, but now I would like to come out to some other people.

The problem is, both times a came out, I never actually said anything along the lines of "I'm gay". When I came out to my cousin, it was because he asked if I had a crush, and I said I had a crush on a girl. When I came out to my mom, I said "can I tell you something?" and then started crying. She actually guessed I was gay before I could answer, so I just nodded yes. She was supportive, but we haven't spoken about it since.

I'm not sure how to actually say the words. Mostly because I'm not sure what I identify as yet. I could say "I'm gay" but I feel like that's not entirely accurate. As of now the most accurate thing I can come up with is "panromantic", but I'm not sure if that's correct either. Plus, I don't want to have to explain the terminology right away.

Does anyone have any advice? I'm just really confused about the whole matter. I want to come out to some people, but I'm not sure how to say it without confusing them and/or crying before I can say anything.

2. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

There are two things you could do in your situation. You could come out as questioning if you are still unsure about your identity or you could wait until you are sure and have a defined label. Either way I find it very useful to practice in front of a mirror. Say out loud ''I like girls'', then you will get better at telling people. You are not alone:slight_smile:

3. Lukas17

Perhaps if you can't say what you mean in the right way try through joke? I know it's hard anyway but if you're not sure in your sexuality yet maybe you should wait for a while and then when you figure it out tell the people how it is. And also you should practice how you could say it to someone in a front of mirror like XenaxGabby said before. Hope you'll be alright and the whole situation. :slight_smile:

4. seerofvoid

I think I'll put off coming out for awhile, except to a few people who will understand the whole undecided/confused/questioning aspect. For some reason, it never occurred to me to practice in front of a mirror, but it's a really good idea and I will definitely try it.

Thanks for the input :slight_smile:

5. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

Your welcome! It really does help. Good luck:slight_smile:

6. daisy448

daisy448 Guest

You could write a letter, I suppose it would be easier because you could plan what you want to write and you could change things after you've written them. Plus you don't actually have to say anything. Xxx

7. Gambit

As others mentioned before, practicing in front of the mirror really helps (or saying it out loud in your car, if you have one). I also have the feeling that "gay" doesn't accurately describe my sexual orientation, so I have come out to some people as "not straight". If the other person asks me what I mean by not straight, I just explain it.