1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to the fam..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Young Blood, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My stepmom is a Christian and pretty huge Jesus freak...I don't know how to go about telling her that I'm bi :/ I don't feel like she'd be very accepting of it...:help:

2. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You should only tell her if you feel comfortable too. Perhaps you could try and work the topic into a general conversation to try and gauge her feelings and opinions on bi people and homosexuality. You could even try to influence her attitude by saying how you think Jesus would love anyone regardless of their orientation. I know this may seem a little manipulative, but really you are just trying to make sure she is accepting.

If she appears to be then go ahead send tell her. You'll probably feel better for it. However, if you feel she isn't, then you have a few things to consider. First of all, are you financially dependant on her? If so it may not be worth risking the potential backlash and it may be better to wait until you can take care of yourself. At that point, if you come our, at least you can look after yourself whilst you give her time to come to terms with it.
    Secondly, if she is totally against it, you have to balance the living a secret against your relationship with her. Sometime ignorance is bliss, but if you don't feel you can live like that then you just have to tell her and deal with what comes.

Anyway, whatever you do, I hope it all works out for you.

Happy days :slight_smile:

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You mentioned your stepmom, but what about other people? Forgive me, but I wouldn't be telling a stepmom first.

There are three possibilities when you tell a Christian, complete love and acceptance (how it should be), indifference (that's okay), or hellfire and damnation (not acceptable). A lot will depend on their denomination, practice and view of Christianity. I think RadioactiveBi gave good advice about sounding her out first.

If you are dependent on her support right now, it might be a good idea to keep quiet, but if you can stand on your own feet don't protect her from knowing about you. Nobody needs protecting from us and if she has an issue with your sexuality SHE needs to deal with it.

4. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really have any other family...my stepmom and my brothers are all I have here. I have told friends, I just feel like I'm living a secret all the time and thought maybe I should tell her...:confused:

I do live with her and am pretty financially dependent on her. Should I just wait then when I'm out of the house? Or try to see how she is around the topic first?

Thanks for the replies by the way! :icon_bigg

5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can see how she feels about the topic now. If she reacts well, then it might be okay to tell her (do bear in mind that she might be okay with others, but not you though). If you have any doubts, wait until you have your own place.

When the time comes, let us know how it goes.:slight_smile:

6. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Alrighty, I'll try that out :slight_smile:
    Thanks a lot :slight_smile:
    I shall definitely let ya'll know if I tell her :slight_smile: