1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out Just for the hell of it??

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by 2Scoopzz, Apr 16, 2014.

1. 2Scoopzz

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So it's the end of the semester of a great year of college. I just turned 21 and have known since elementary that I was at least half lesbian but as I get older the more lesbian exclusive I become. Just to boost my confidence and lift a very heavy weight off my chest, I want to come out to my roomies. I don't have the lady balls to tell them face to face so I was thinking about writing a letter instead. What should I say?? Does coming out make life a little easier?? Did coming out help with finding a girlfriend??

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Coming out makes things easier in the sense that you stop worrying so much about somebody finding it out on their own, but I think that's about as far as it's usefulness goes.

Technically I suppose it would make it easier to get a girlfriend since you wouldn't be trying to hide the fact that you were looking for one, but it's not like it's going to draw people in necessarily.

As for what you should say...personally I'm an advocate of the idea that coming out will usually only be a big deal if you make it one (obviously this doesn't work for people you KNOW are going to cause a problem). I'd just stick the words "I'm bi! <3 MY NAME" on a bit of paper and put it somewhere they will see it.

---------- Post added 17th Apr 2014 at 08:30 AM ----------

EDIT: Should have said I would do that if I was sure they would be accepting of it!

3. a1rborne

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Tell them your story, your feelings, your situation, that you don't want to hide who you are anymore, that you'd like to be honest with your friends, etc. Let them closer to you. This is at least what I did in my emails/letters, and it turned out very well!

Yes it does, you don't have to hide who you are anymore. I, for example in a bar, can now also tell my hetero friends if find a guy attractive once they start to talk about attractive girls or so.

I havn't got a boyfriend yet, but I think it does help me to be ready when the right person comes. And I would also not have to hide the relationship from my family and friends. Having to hide a relationship could be a heavy burden.