1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PROBLEM. idk.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by hairdye, Jul 28, 2008.

1. hairdye

K. first of all. don't read this if you're judgemental.
    oh hell, anybody reading this will probably become judgmental.
    but read it all at least.

so, theres this 15 year old. who likes me.
    I'm 18. and i don't know what to do.
    i know this sounds bad already. so don't think i don't.
    note: i haven't acted on any of this, so don't think i'm a creeper.

but, he's really mature for his age. and he makes me laugh.
    like, it doesn't even feel like he's 15.
    i don't even know how he does it,
    cause in my mind I could never bring myself to be okay with this.
    but i think i would like him, if I let myself get past the fact that he's 15.
    and I mean, it's not like i like him because he's young. thats what weirds me out.
    i don't go after youngsters, in fact, i usually date guys older than me.
    thats the only thing i really don't like. cause i know it sounds pretty damn wrong.
    and there are laws. and i feel like a pedophile for even thinking about liking him back.

I realize that in a court of law,
    "he's mature for his age" and "it doesn't feel like he's 15"
    don't matter.
    I know I should get over it. and i want to.
    but at the same time i think, "is it really that bad?"
    i mean at 18, i know people who've dated guys who were 24.
    but i realize it's the fact that he's a minor.

idk, i'm just confused. someone clear my head.
    and tell me something other than, you're a pedophile.

2. tylerksub

tylerksub Guest

Well theres plenty to be said on why you should not even think about having a relationship with a minor. Lewd act on a child under the age of 16 is a big one, I know i'm 16 and i feel more mature then all the drunk and high kids who go to my classes but that relationship is going to cause alot more harm then good. Your 18, thats past school and onto college or work and this 15 year old is just beginning his high school experience "Probably a frustrating one for someone whos mature". There is no law against you dating someone 15 but as long as it does not get physical. You should both be Mature enough to realize that.
    *Chris Hansen* - Host of To Catch a Predator

#2 tylerksub, Jul 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2008
  3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! You know it happens. Falling for someone who is a couple of years younger than you are can happen. You mentioned a few things (his maturity, he makes you laugh and that you like him) that have allowed you to fall for him. It can happen and there is nothing to be ashamed about.

Having said this, I think it is good that you are thinking about in 'rational' terms. Having fallen for him, there is nothing you can really do about it with the exception of trying to get your mind to concentrate on something else. As you have pointed out, you could be walking into a legal minefield here, in which you don't want to get into. Safest bet, try to get your mind off of him. Take some time out. Try to meet and do things with your friends. Try to make some new friends if you need to. Do something that you like doing, or that has helped you in the past to get you to concentrate on other things when you had to. Do what ever it is that you need to do to get your mind to concentrate on something else.

I don't see any reason why you two can not be friends. After you have taken some time out, try to be his friend. It sounds that you two get along and enjoy each other's company. If you find yourself falling for him again than maybe you have to move on leave it behind you. If you two do remain friends for the next couple of years, and once he is no longer a minor under the law (although it does depend where you live) if you still want to take your friendship a step further then you could give it a try.

But for now, I think it is best if you try to distance yourself just to be on the safe side.

I hope this helps.

4. hairdye

yeah, i know it's what i SHOULD do.
    but it's easier said the done. for several reasons.
    i don't want to hurt him. to be honest, i don't really want to just leave it alone.

and at the same time,
    don't wanna get too far with it.
    cause i think even trying to get physical, wouldn't work.
    i'd be too deep in my head.

why did I have to turn 18? honestly?

5. tylerksub

tylerksub Guest

I'm sure that you can have a relationship with this kid without getting physical and it might be healthy for both of you. You get to have a potential less stressful friendship and he gets someone to admire and come to for advice/fun. What kid doesn't want a friend with a car?

6. Malchik89

Yeah having a relationship with a 15 year old is perfectly legal as long as you guys don't have sex. I think its at least 16, in Illinois its 17. But yeah i know your pain, ive fallen for younger ones too, but things just make me realize its better to look above your age rather than under. So yeah no judgements here, go for it, you'd just have to live without sex for about a year prolly.

7. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, you are right, it is easier said than done, but given that you know what you should and perhaps need to do, and given that you are thinking about it rationally I think you will overcome that. I think you are looking at it from a rational perspective that will allow you to move beyond it for now.

If you really want to pursue a relationship with him, I would suggest that you have a look at the law books and go by what ever it says when it comes to minors and take it from there. If you haven't done so already, talk to him as well about it so that he also knows about your feelings and worries.

But again, if you feel that it would be easier on the both of you, you two can be friends, close friends. Just don't let it get to the physical aspects of the relationship. Hang out together and do whatever it is that you do together but just make sure that it stays at being friends for now. Get to know each other as it were. Once he is no longer considered a minor under the law, than maybe try forming a closer relationship.

Hope this helps!

#7 Mirko, Jul 28, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  8. ScentedRegrets

I know how you feel. I have a neighbor who had a boyfriend when she was 14 years old... dumb parents went away for a week and left her home alone (only child, all alone)... she had her boyfriend over... they got into it... and next thing you know the cops are involved.

To make a long story short, as I said, I do know how you feel. My neighbor thought she knew how she felt. But then what you know becomes what you question. My point is that I do not believe that a 14 or 15 year old truly knows what they want. As Tyler said, there is no law against dating someone who is 15 years old. But just don't let it get physical. There really is too much to lose.

One a side note, you're not creepy. The mere fact that you show and voice your reservations proves that you are not a creep. Just stay rational and think about the unexpected. Are the possible (be them improbable, but possible none the less) consequences worth it? I don't think so. These types of consequences do not let up... ever. If you want to, become friends... by all means. Just don't let it get physical.

9. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Here is a link to a website that will give you the "Age of Consent" when it comes to having a physical relationship: http://www.avert.org/aofconsent.htm. As I'm not sure where you live, again I would suggest to you to have a look at the law books.

I would caution you on 'dating' though. Dating can easily lead to something much more. After all we are all social animals and can give easily into temptation. Given that you have mentioned that you "don't really want to just leave it alone" I think it would be wise to take it slow and take a step back. It is always better to be safe than sorry afterwards.

But it is really up to you as to how you want to proceed. Hope this helps!

10. hairdye

age of consent is 18 in only three states.
    California happens to be one of them.

....just my luck.
    but my cousin just mentioned that she thinks theres some
    3 year difference consideration, so I'm gonna look into that.

but you have a been really helpful and understanding, thanks. :]

11. hairdye

AHA! who knows law?

someone clear this up for me.
    I don't quite understand it, but it sounds like i'm good.

wait.... omg. i think he's a 3 years and 25 days younger....
    does that count? idk. help me?

California

The age of consent is 18, with a misdemeanor if the minor has 3 or fewer years of difference with the major. Penalties increase if the minor is under 14 and the major is above 21.

Texts :

* California Penal Code - Part 1. of crimes and punishments -
    o Title 9. of crimes against the person involving sexual assault, and crimes against public decency and good morals
    + Chapter 1. Rape, abduction, carnal abuse of children, and seduction. - Section 261.5.
    # (a) Unlawful sexual intercourse is an act of sexual intercourse accomplished with a person who is not the spouse of the perpetrator, if the person is a minor. For the purposes of this section, a "minor" is a person under the age of 18 years and an "adult" is a person who is at least 18 years of age and older.
    # (b) Any person who engages in an act of unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor who is not more than three years older or three years younger than the perpetrator, is guilty of a misdemeanor.
    # (c) Any person who engages in an act of unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor who is more than three years younger than the perpetrator is guilty of either a misdemeanor or a felony, and shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or by imprisonment in the state prison.
    # (d) Any person 21 years of age or older who engages in an act of unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor who is under 16 years of age is guilty of either a misdemeanor or a felony, and shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or by imprisonment in the state prison for two, three, or four years.

#11 hairdye, Jul 28, 2008
  12. Nanzuniko

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Hm...it's impossible for me to be judgmental XD. Personally, for certain reasons I don't believe there's anything wrong with it. You'll be safe as long as there's no sexual fun involved (then again, sex whether it's fun or not o.o).

It seems the others have helped you out so don't feel down about it =D

13. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well reading through it, I think what it means is that he can not legally consent to sex until he is 18. As you noted, there are exceptions but these apply to the penalties involved. Given that you are 18 and your friend is more than 3 years younger, and if you do have intercourse with him and someone would report you, you could be charged and possibly face jail time. This is how I read it, but someone might have a different take on it. Maybe get a few more opinions on it.

Regardless of the exceptions and exemptions, if I were you I would take the friendship route, and try to get my mind concentrating on something else. Remember that laws are open to interpretations and I think you want to avoid any situations where you would need to explain yourself. Why do you want to get yourself in such a situation?

Take it slow. Talk to him about it. Get other opinions on it as well. But please, what ever you do or decide to do, weigh the options and consequences.

Hope this helps!

#13 Mirko, Jul 28, 2008
  14. Nanzuniko

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Um...I think that's mostly right. Not sure.

15. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It looks like hooking up with him is still illegal, it's just not AS illegal if you were 19 or 20.

Age is much more than a number, Aaliyah notwithstanding. Your friend can't buy a car, can't vote, and can't buy alcohol. These aren't random laws tossed in to deprive kids of having fun. They're there because most minors simply don't have the experience and maturity to handle making some tough decisions. You no doubt have seen the "soap operas" that occur at school, when two 14-year-olds date for a week, break up, and there's a huge scene. That's lack of maturity. And no, it's not confined to the under-18 set, but it's a lot more common there. Which is why there's a line drawn.

In addition, if you were to get into a relationship with this kid, you would NOT be entering in as equals. You're older, and you technically would have some power of him. It's like having a relationship with an employee. Bad idea.

Lex

16. hairdye

So i talked to him about it just a little last night.
    i told him how i'd never been attracted to someone younger than me.
    and I mentioned that i had, "reservations" about doing things with him,
    because of the age issue. he tried to assure me that,
    he would never "just go run to the police" even if he got mad or something.

Lex, you made a really good point though.
    and still at the same time, my head fights your points.

in my head I say;
    age is nothing but a number.
    he's not like other kids his age.
    he's assured me he wouldn't tell the police or anything if he got mad.
    and he makes me laugh.

ugh. i hate this. why me?
    it's like trying to figure out my sexuality all over again.
    and once was enough darn it!

17. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I know it can be hard to move on from here. You have fallen for someone and you a battling two worlds, one which wants to be him and the other who thinks rationally about it and reminds you about what you need/should do.

Even if he acts mature for his age (as Lex said) age is more than a number. All it takes is for someone (be it his parents, friends) to have a suspicion that you guys have a relationship. Should someone then proceed to report it, you are going to face the same nightmare as if he would have reported you.

Apart from the legal aspects, and I should have mentioned it yesterday as well (and as Lex said), the relationship would not be a relationship of equals. You have more life experiences, even if it is just a three year difference.

As bad as it sounds, it isn't a good idea to pursue a relationship with him. I know it will be hard, but I think it might be best if you try to move on.

Don't be too hard on yourself. It happens. There is nothing you can do about it.

18. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course he's not like other kids his age.
    You don't have feelings for other kids his age.
    And no, he wouldn't go to the police. NOW. Because everything's fine.
    What if things start NOT going fine?
    What happens when people start suspecting? Or finding out?
    Then it's not just him who has you by the short'n'curlies. It's anybody who knows.

There are just too many pitfalls, and they're just too deep. It's best to avoid them.
    If he's an amazing kid at 15, he'll be an amazing adult at 18.
    Wait.

Lex

19. Leigh

Leigh Guest

as much as i think age shouldnt get in the way of people being together... i think you need to be really cautious about this. obv you are lol.. but it must be something really serious to risk going to jail for..

why not just spend time with him and see how things develop, without going into the physical side of things??...

20. xxAngelOnFirexx

well my sister is 14 and going with a 17 year old. same age difference but different laws. i think love is what matters. long as you don't break any laws you should be okay.