1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out to the people at my church?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by gaynerd64, Apr 19, 2014.

1. gaynerd64

I am rather pissed that my parents are making me go to church tomorrow because church is something I can't stand (This sentence was censored so that nobody would be offended). Then I got a crazy idea to just come out of the closet right in front of those Christian -censored- just to see their reaction. Thoughts?:grin:

2. Trentacles

I'm a bit Brahms at the moment and it's really f-ing late here but it sounds like a poor choice.. Don't do something you regret mate but do what you want. Parents are easier to deal with of they aren't actively angry with you

3. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My advice.. don't do it. I did that and it did not end well at all. Also it is Easter, so I don't think that coming out on a holiday is a good idea. If you do want to come out, I would take it slow and tell a few people at a time.

5. Alpha78

Out Status:
    A few people
    I wouldnt since it would create unnecessary problems.

6. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Though I don't like Christianity very much, I think it would be mean spirited if you came out in church just to spite your parents. I certainly understand where you are coming from but the "F**k You!" attitude of coming out will just lead to arguments and anger.

If you do come out at all during church, it should only be because bringing up the fact that you were gay was the natural progression of the conversation. You definitely should not go out of your way to make a statement.

7. IsThisAName

In a word: no. Many Christians are not understanding of us and you cannot change them. In the end, it will only cause unnecessary pain and hurt for you. Do not let them phase you or feel like you have to tell them. You are better off not telling them, trust me.

8. all paths

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your parents can make you go to church, still, unfortunately, and I understand that it makes you angry...it would me too, at that age (old enough to choose for yourself). But they cannot control where your mind is. You can choose to be wherever you want, in your head.

So if you'd like, exercise your freedom from mind control by being wherever you choose to be, mentally, when you go.

For your own sake, I wouldn't come out at church for the reasons that you want to, right now. Every advice thing about coming out I've ever read has said not to do it in anger, or as a "revenge" in an argument or something. Put it this way: You don't want this to be a topic which they feel anger and hostility toward you about, in your life. So approaching it with love is always best. Even if that "love" is exhibited in merely controlling your hard feelings about things they've said & done in the past regarding your orientation, in order to tell them in a matter-of-fact way, when things are neutral between you.

If you tell them in anger, then the whole subject will start out on the wrong foot - one shrouded in angry feelings... And this is a part of you that should be celebrated & honored. So think of it that way. :slight_smile: It's part of loving yourself.

Take care. *hug*

9. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Don't do it.

Yes, the idea is a fun fantasy. But the reality of actually doing this is almost certainly guaranteed to cause you more trouble and pain than you need or want.

10. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only positive thing I can see in what you are asking is the fact that you are thinking of coming out, but I have to agree with everyone else and say no. Take a deep breath :slight_smile: