1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I do this?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by RetroRhombus, Apr 19, 2014.

1. RetroRhombus

RetroRhombus Guest

Since I know I can't come out conpletely but am dying to do so, I just want to hint that I'm gay to my friends. Does anyone have any advice? How should I do it, when should I do it, should I do it all? I really just need to have anyone in my life I know would be fine with it and could keep it secret. I also just realized I was gay in October of last year. Is that too early? If anyone who has been or is in a similar situation could help, that would be nice. Thankyou for all responses unless they are mean and hateful. I love you all

2. Munyal

Before we can adequately respond, it would be convenient to know more about your current situation. Here is a checklist to help us help you:
    Is where you live homophobic?
    Are your friends homophobic?
    How do you think people will react?
    Are you ready to come out?
    How would you like to tell your friends (one by one, big group, etc.)?

Also, it is never "too early" to realize your sexuality, so no to that question.
    I don't really know what is going on with you, but best of luck! (*hug*)

3. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you feel comfortable answering - how old are you?
    The most subtle way to get the point across is through everyday conversation that comes up between you and your friends.
    If people are talking about 'them hot girlz', just don't pitch in anything. Or if they're asking you if you have a girlfriend or something. It can come up easily.

If you want to come out to someone who you can trust, just... come out to someone you can trust. This is kind of where your age becomes important. If you're an older guy, you can probably find a trustworthy friend more easily than a teen who can fall victim to school gossip.

Just a few methods that came to mind.

4. RetroRhombus

RetroRhombus Guest

Well I am 14. I have slightly (very slightly) homophobic friends that don't really talk about having girlfriends or boyfriends, unless we are
    Discussing our schools girlfriend whore. I think they would react a mite bit hostile, unless they are my
    Really close ones. The thing is, I am not ready to cme out, but it is all I ever think about, how much I want to come out but can't. (ludicolo is better than wailmer)

5. thrnvlpidj

After being out here for a while and posting your thoughts, you will then be ready to come out to friends and/or family.

6. helperman

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Then there's your answer. Come out to your closest friends. When/if you feel comfortable coming out to others later on then do it at your own pace. BUT, you have to be ready to do it...and the way it sounds you aren't.

7. makeupsomemagic

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Dont come out unless you know ur friends and family will accept you.

8. RetroRhombus

RetroRhombus Guest

Thankyou everyone for the advice, now I think I can wait a bit before I come out."

9. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You may find if your friends found out, they may be more accepting than you think. Sometimes people's opinions on an issue can change when they realise it affects someone close to them or someone they know. Even if they are making homophobic remarks, they may only really be doing it because everyone else is and are not really thinking in the implications of their words.

Does anyone in your family know? If not, it's best to gauge their attitude towards homosexuality before you tell them as if you are dependant on them, this can cause other issues.

Whenever you decide to let people know, it's always good to tell someone you trust to be supportive first. That way, you have a pillar of support to help deal with telling everyone else and their reactions.

Of course, I'm not telling you what you should do. Only you can decide the best action as only you fully know your situation. However, whatever you decide to do, I hope everything works out.

Happy days :slight_smile:

10. RetroRhombus

RetroRhombus Guest

Well the person I trust the most at te moment is my brother. Even though he says gay marriage should be legal, I don't know how he would react knowing I'm gay. I want to come put to him first, which may take a while.

11. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There's no rush in coming out to one another. Come out to another person on your own terms, don't feel like you have to meet a deadline. If it takes a while, it takes a while.

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One quick thought: If you hint, they'll likely figure it out. If they figure it out, you need to assume that the whole school will know pretty quickly, because that sort of juicy gossip, once shared among more than a couple of people, is nearly impossible to keep completely secret because *somebody*, even someone sworn to secrecy, will share it with "just one person"... who will then tell a million others.

So I'd say, if you aren't ready for the school to know, don't hint, don't tell, at least not to a group. Maybe to one close friend.

13. RetroRhombus

RetroRhombus Guest

Then looks like I won't a while. My Bible teacher would have a talk with me and then het mad, so I think I wont

14. thrnvlpidj

Perhaps you can get some support from your brother without actually making a proclamation of your sexuality.

15. RetroRhombus

RetroRhombus Guest

How could I. Go about that?

16. thrnvlpidj

Is he older? Ask him to talk about "birds and bees" with you.

17. RetroRhombus

RetroRhombus Guest

I almost came out to my friend, but he looked horrified so I had to pass it off as a joke. Sadly this is the same friend I was infatuated with. Not so much anymore. We surprisingly get quite sexual with our jokes. He even always says I am gay, which then makes me think he actually thinks I am gay. He also told me he has a girlfriend, who I have never seen before. I just hope that there will be someone I can tell. At school I made a joke with one of my friends, insinuating that we were gay. He then felt uncomfortable and one of our friends seemed kind of upset. I think she is fine with being gay, weird for my private christian school where two people still think i am gay after they said very negative things towards gay people and I told them to stop. Unfortunately, that girl thinks I am very weird, and she does not like me as a friend. So I really I have no one to talk to. I am also starting to become more comfortable with people saying I am gay. I just don't care. I will say I am, but they all take it as a joke. So I can say I am gay without the negativity and people actually thinking I am gay.