1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to approach friends and family

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by 2Bornot2B, Apr 19, 2014.

1. 2Bornot2B

This question has been on my mind a lot the past few days. I've finally started to accept the fact that i'm more girl than guy, and that I would prefer life in a girl's body. But without anyone to share that with I've been banging my head in frustration.:bang: I almost caved to a friend on Thursday but my self preservation instincts kicked in and I fell silent from fear of rejection.

Now im home for the weekend and it brought the question to my mind even more. My mother I believe would be supportive, but I think it would still be a serious shock. As for my friends, they are the kind of friends that I can tell even after only meeting them because we live in the same dorm that we will be around each other for years to come, and I'm sick of hiding the truth from everyone.

But I don't even know how to approach the subject. Every time I imagine the conversation I find myself getting tongue tied because of years worth of instincts forcing myself quiet and scared:confused:, instead of showing the confidence that I would need in those moments. I've thought about everything from text to email or face-to-face but I don't know which is the most appropriate form. Can anyone provide some pointers for approaching the subject?

Please and thank you!

2. Kapsoki

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well, I can't speak for those who have gone through with outting because I'm still questioning, but I feel that a face-to-face interaction would the most effective way to get your message across.

It will be a lot scarier doing this, I know, but It might sound/feel so much more sincere and redeeming than just texting someone the news.

I wish I could help you more :/

3. 2Bornot2B

I was leaning toward face-to-face too, I just hope that i can find the courage to do it. i'm thinking by the end of the week i might try to open to a friend. Or a family member. Just someone. if i don't it'll be a very long summer with no one to talk to and surrounded by my entire extended family still thinking nothing is wrong.:bang:

Well except for my dogs. They are pretty understanding.:grin:

4. thrnvlpidj

Have you come out to your dogs? You can practice what you will say with them.

5. 2Bornot2B

Yeah they have been present while I've researched this stuff and I have actually talked to them when i'm feeling particularly dysphoric. They don't seem to care.:grin: