1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to tell people?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SON1Love, Apr 20, 2014.

1. SON1Love

SON1Love Guest

I've been telling a few people over the past few months that I'm a lesbian, and the responses so far have been ok. My best friend is totally supportive, even if he was a little surprised. The others weren't really surprised or didn't really care.

I'm only out to like, 8 people. I live in a really small town that's close minded. My family is basically the same. I'm afraid when I tell my parents, they're going to want nothing to do with me. Yeah, I'm 19, work full time and can live on my own if that happened, but I don't want to lose my family. I want to tell them, but I'm not sure how to even start the conversation. It's starting to bug me the longer I hide it, because I feel like I shouldn't have too. It's who I am, and I'm still the same person I was before they knew...

Any advice, or stories on how anyone else told there family/there families reactions? I'd appreciate it.

2. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

Well, I just said to my mom literally 'Hey Mom, you know? I like girls'. While we were watching TV.:grin: But that's with my family.
    And her first reaction was 'are you kidding me?' But then it was ok:grin:
    Do you want to plan it or just jump right in?:slight_smile:

3. Lea22

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Maybe you can say them that you have to talk to them about a important thing when you all have time.
    So they will ask you what you wanted to tell and you can't conceal anymore.

4. SON1Love

SON1Love Guest

Definitely a plan. I've never really been a big sharer with my parents, because we have WAY different viewpoints on everything. I'm honestly not even sure how to bring the conversation up. My sister lives with her boyfriend, and I've thought about telling her so I'll have her support first, but every time I start to I freeze. I can't get over the worry that when I tell them, I'll be kicked out. Not to mention, my dads family is extremely homophobic. My moms side isn't as bad, but I don't think they'll be accepting either. As dramatic as it may seem, Paula Carlin from South of Nowhere (if you've ever seen it) reminds me of my mom...minus the catholic part.

I'm glad your family was ok with it!Congrats

5. gaygirl1

gaygirl1 Guest

I think it's great that you have told your friends about your sexuality. It takes a lot of courage! My advice would be to not rush it. Tell them when you are ready, and feel confident about yourself. I would start by coming out to a family member who you think will be supportive. Your sister sound like a good start. Coming out to parents is the hardest part for a lot of people, including me.

The first one I told was my mom (a year ago). She didn't believe me or accept me. She said things like “ it's a phase” , “ you are too young to know if you are gay” and “ you just haven’t meet the right boy”. It hurt me a lot. But she didn’t kick me out. The last couple of months I have told the rest of the family. I came out to my sister on Facebook. I just sent her a massage. It worked out great, and she was really supportive. Telling people face to face, is often harder then writing a letter or a text massage. It also gives them time to proses what you just told them. Maybe you could send your sister a text message, if it's to scary telling her in person.

I have a great relationship with my mom today, but she still doesn’t accept me. My mom is a christian and is really homophobic. We never talk about it. In her eyes I am straight. I think she just needs time to accept it, and I respect that. But I don't regret telling her. I feel that I can be myself and I know she will come to turns with it in the future. When she sees how happy I am as a lesbian. :grin:

That's my coming out experience. I hope it will help you in some way. I don't know you our your family. But I think most parents love their children unconditionally, weather they are gay or straight.

I hope it all works out for you, if not, there are a lot of nice people out there who will accept and support you. :slight_smile: Good luck!

6. gaygirl1

gaygirl1 Guest

It's come to terms with it* not come to turns with it :slight_smile: I hope you understood what i meant.