1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out via Facebook's "interested in"?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by IphisAndIanthe, Apr 20, 2014.

1. I'm considering just quietly updating my Facebook profile to say "interested in: women". I don't really want to make a big deal about coming out. I want to be able to let people know I'm a Lesbian without actually having to tell them. But I'm a little bit unsure about this method. I don't want my close family members to be upset that they found out through facebook. Also, I don't know how many people will actually see it. It might be a bit too subtle. Has anyone else come out by just changing their "interested in" section? How did it go for you?

Let me know what y'all think. I'm not sure that this is a good idea; some advice would be lovely.

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    IIRC, changing your interested in status doesn't actually get publicized. I have mine blank (and I don't state my relationship status) to just keep things as a white lie. People have to actively be looking at your info page to know, so those are the only ones who would look. Most likely, these would be people who just became friends (and thus are just checking out your info) or those who are checking up on you (which could include nosy family members).

3. RedDev84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm not the biggest user of Facebook, but I know of it's features and stuff.

I agree with resu, I don't think it actually publicises your interested on peoples walls.
    That said, even if it did I personally would recommend creating a status or whatever it's called these days. It's more personal and would probably raise less questions of people asking you if it's true. Questions aren't bad by the way, but if your goal is to come out without leaving doubts about it, a status might be a better way to go if you intend using Facebook.

I also understand this 5 lettered term (I don't like the word) which basically is when someone has accessed your account without your knowledge, often for banter as opposed to actually causing harm. As a result, referring back to my original point, just changing your 'interested in' will not necessarily make people automatically assume you are gay. They might feel someone has had access to your account or you maybe just even mis-clicked. It just isn't decisive.

Do you sorta see where I'm coming from? Nearly 3am here so struggling to think properly haha :slight_smile:

EDIT:
    Forgot to mention, if you did decide to come out through facebook, you might decide to change your 'interested in' anyway so that new friends realise when they add you. Obviously again, that's if you want them to know.

#3 RedDev84, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  4. Trentacles

Since I sort of came out last week and i'm only friends with people from school on fb and they apparently already know, i basically did this earlier but in a joking manner so it wasn't so serious. my route (i have the interested in private anyways):

my timeline > Add post > "Life Event" > Health & Wellness > Quit Habit > Other > Filled in "Girls" and tagged "with" using my ex-gf. (She has been bitchy towards me this past week so I decided to be bitchy back).

edit: yeah but i would come out in person before Facebook.

5. Darn. I guess I have to do this the hard way. I didn't know that it wouldn't get publicized. I considered making a status, but I feel like that draws too much attention. I don't really want to make a big deal out of it.

I'm going on a family trip this summer, and everyone will be there. I feel like this might be a good time to do it, but I don't think I'd have the confidence to come out to them all at once.

6. Daniel003

i changed mine and i dont think anyone has noticed in the slightest

7. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hiya, that's what I've done on my face book. I've changed my interested in, to men and women. I did this about a week to a week and a half ago. No one has noticed yet, which is unsurprising as you have to actively go into my page and click on the about button. If they are using the Facebook app, they may also have to expand the basic info tab.

So this way is very subtle, and unlikely to go noticed, although it may...

For me, if someone finds out that way, it's no bother to me and I'll happily have a conversation about it. Something else I've done is join some LGBT groups and liked some LGBT pages. Also, if you like posts on LGBT pages, it can appear in your news feed (or time line, I'm not sure which). If you are members of these groups or liked enough posts, people may start to suspect, so this is another way of dropping hints.

Hope that helps,

Happy days :slight_smile:

8. Christopher

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    MySpace did it better, I think: They had a line marked "Orientation". You could fill it in as gay, straight, or whatever. I think that's better than a vague, nebulous term like "interested in".

9. BelleFromHell

Just changed my interested in section about two weeks ago.
    [​IMG]
    All of my Christian friends can kiss my digital ass.

10. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    When I identified as bi I changed it to men and women. Nobody noticed.

11. wolfxinxchains

I've considered making a status that says something like #transpride and #gaypride and post some random pictures. Considering theres many gossipsin my school, it will probably spread like wildfire. probably not in the greatest way, but if it gets spread out, then I can probably deal with any bullies and just block everyone that messages me saying shit. I might even just ask my friends to call me Adam even to others and just do that... to spread that fact. which honestly if I give someone the permission to tell someone else if it comes up idc

12. BelleFromHell

You could also make the trans pride flag your cover photo.
    I think that'd be a nice touch. :slight_smile:

13. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I always suspected James was gay!

14. nikidion

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, I think it's better if you go the hard way, instead of putting some stuff online and then having to guess who read it, who didn't and what they think.

I'm sure during your family trip someone will ask if you have a boyfriend or something along these lines. Why not say it then? That you aren't into men, or that you have a girlfriend (if you do). You don't necessarily have to round all the family up, sit them down and come out, there are other ways.

15. BelleFromHell

Of course he is! He's got to be at least bisexual!
    It's not scientifically possible for a straight man to be that fabulous!

16. Thanks. You're right. I would get the "Do you have a boyfriend?" question so much at family reunions. It was always super annoying, but I could use that as the perfect opportunity.