1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subtle or out there?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ema228, Apr 21, 2014.

1. ema228

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I am very open about being a lesbian to everyone except my family. I don't know if I should just be casual about it and not exactly come out, but let them figure it out themselves or go to a family reunion wearing a shirt that says "vagitarian" or something?

The subtle ways I can think of are just not blocking certain relatives from seeing my posts about girls on facebook, taking my girlfriend to a family event or something(if I have a girlfriend then), or just not do anything to really announce it.
    The out there ways I can think of are just sort of tell a few relatives and let it spread, wear a shirt that says vagitarian or something that screams lesbian, pride stuff, or my button that says "totally gay"

Or should I even really come out at all? I am on the fence about it because the only family that knows is my mom and I just feel like nobody really knows who I truly am(sounds kinda cheesy) like I am hiding or something

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    go to a family reunion wearing a shirt that says "vagitarian"

And the medal for 'most awkward conversation starter' goes to...

There is a difference between 'being out' and 'coming out'.

Personally I see coming out as a warning to people I think need to know. People who will make stupid comments otherwise or people I am SUPER close to.

But 'being out' is easy. I'm 'out' to everyone but I've only ever come out to about 4 people. I don't try and hide it because it's not a secret, I just don't go spreading it around.

If you're comfortable 'being out' to these people then don't worry about hiding your facebook messages, if you're not comfortable with it then don't worry about hiding it.

It's up to you how you want them to find out (just please don't wear that shirt xD )