1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you start getting comfortable about just telling people I'm bi/gay/lesbian?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Smiley1123, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Smiley1123

For now...I don't even know if i truly am but I was just curious about how/when did you start feeling confident and comfortable about just telling people.

2. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Re: How do you start getting comfortable about just telling people I'm bi/gay/lesbian

It comes with time. As you come out to more people, it becomes less of an event and more of a formality. Once you are truly at peace with the fact that you are gay/bi, that's when you have the most confidence.

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: How do you start getting comfortable about just telling people I'm bi/gay/lesbian

Hi there! The feeling of being ready to tell others differs from person to person. Often, the feeling of being ready to tell a friend or a family member about our feelings/sexual identity comes when we have accepted ourselves and are comfortable with it. These are two stages in the coming out process that do take time and might be the hardest. If you take your time though, you will figure it all out. You will know when you are ready.

Hope this helps!

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

You start with the people you're most comfortable with. Think of other things you might be reluctant to tell people - like you doing REALLY bad on a test, or getting into a fight with somebody, or whatever. If you just HAD to talk to somebody about it, who would it be? Your best friend? Your sister? Your mom? Whoever it is might be the ideal person to start with.

The first person you tell tends to be somewhat of a big deal. It's usually an "I gotta talk to you" sort of moment, it's often uncomfortable, and tripping over words is almost inevitable. But that's why you start with your best friend. They're on your side - they'll stick with you as you fumble for what to say. After the first one, it gets easier. :slight_smile:

Lex

5. ElizabethAnne

I totally agree with Lexington! Starting with your best friend is good, since they are already on your side. I think too, in my own experience, the less of a deal you make it (granted you will be nervous, but if you can think of it more in terms of "hey guess what?" instead of "we've got to talk", that seems to have worked for me), the less of a deal the person you are talking to will make it. In my experience too, if I know the person well enough I'm mostly able to judge what they will say when I tell them, and mostly then you will be able to say which persons you want to tell first, namely the ones that will be most accepting of you!