1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I bring up the subject of being gay?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Hidden Angel, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

There are a couple of people at school that i want to come out to but I just don't know how to bring it up. It's not something that is ever really talked about so the topic probably won't come up.
    Anyone got any ideas because I have no idea aside from saying 'can I talk to you alone' which I find kind of awkward.

2. crimsonarcher

well, I could start with any of the following-

So what´s your opinion on gay marriage?

what is the most personal thing you´ve admitted?

Have you ever faced judgement of any sort?

There´s a secret..

You should know something...

You could also bring up any news that might involve a gay person in particular, and then you can go on from there.

Hope I was of help!
    :slight_smile:

3. limepink

Largest city in the second smallest state
    Out Status:
    All but family
    There are a lot of opportunities if you friends are anything like mine. Next time someone asks you if you like anyone, or starts talking about hott guys, or how amazing Orlando Bloom is, or anything like that you can find a way to un awkwardly mention you like girls.

4. sayitforreals

i have found with my really good friends, "what's your deepest darkest secret?" works well. if they trust you enough they will either A. tell you and automatically expect you to tell them, or B. say "you first" and BABOW opportunity. haha, i have actually used this one twice. well, the first time it was backward, but still. :thumbsup:

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's nothing wrong with "I wanna talk to you about something". It lets them know what you're going to say is at least somewhat serious/important.

Lex

6. ElizabethAnne

Hey Angel,
    My favourite line was, "So, I'm thinking of becoming a lesbian..." (arguably there are several things wrong with that statement, such as you don't just "decide" to become a lesbian etc but point being it worked really well for me). I was walking with this friend of mine, and she asked how everything was going. I really didn't make a big deal out of it, and I said it while laughing. It was one of the easiest things I've ever done. She laughed too. The "deep dark secret" thing, I think would work at a sleep-over or some such more intimate setting, but if you're not already in a conversation that's really intimate that can be kind of awkward. On the other hand, I have good friends to whom I can tell anything, and that would work with them ANYTIME, cuz they really care about me. I guess you know best what would work.
    Best of luck,
    Liz.

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I agree with Lex. I think it is a good way to start the conversation. If you are not sure as to how they might react or what they might say, you could always bring up the topic of homosexuality in a general conversation. As it was said above you could mention something that you have seen on television or read in a magazine before telling them about yourself.

8. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    If you are uncomfortable with the "I need to talk to you about something" just wait for the right opportunity. Like if your friends are talking about the opposite sex just casually throw in "yeah, boys are nice but I like girls." I think those are the best coming outs to friends. Its casual and gets the point across. Mostly likely they are going to ask some questions. Just be prepared to answer them.

9. kp1832

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    HAHAHAHA. That's pretty rich.

I don't know - I'm having the same problem myself. All of my friends know, so whenever I'm with one of them and an acquaintance, I find it hard to bring it up just because.. well.. people in this town respond pretty strongly to those types of things, and I don't think it's something I could just blurt out without having to explain myself in some way. And also, I'm just plain nervous :X

If there's a friend you want to tell, I see nothing wrong in saying "I need to talk to you about something". That way, they can build up suspense ("Are they a drug dealer? A prostitute?", "Do they need a large sum of money?", etc), and then be relieved when it's just the fact that you find females attractive. Also know that if they are a friend, they probably have an inkling anyway.

10. Nanzuniko

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I agree with ElizabethAnne. XD

#10 Nanzuniko, Jul 31, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2008