1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My mom keeps skirting around the issue ...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Kiss Da Girl, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Kiss Da Girl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Today I trued to tell her I was a lesbian by telling her my girlfriend was bisexual . The only thing that happened was that she got all defensive and said maybe I should stop hanging out with this girl , as if the gay would rub off on me . News Flash it was there to start with . She then told me that the only people who are gay are people who have been in traumatic events or are trans . ( Sorry if your trans her comment was rude. ... and I'm extra sorry if youve been through one of the events I'm about to list.) Listing that my girl had to have been raped , had a bad sexual experience with a man , - shes a virgin !- ect ect ect .....

I argued with her that people are born this way , and that god intended to make us gay , or in my case lesbian . But she proceeded to tell me that god did not make us as sinners we chose to be sinners.

Another point that came up was that she would not except me as a lesbian in her house but it was okay for others to be on the streets . She said I was to pretty to be lesbian , and that she could argue that point all day because she was my mother. I told her she was wrong because thats a stereotype there are many different types of lesbians.

I'm so sick of being in the closet but I cant even get this woman to realize that her own daughter is a lesbian . What do I do ? Should I even bother coming out .... Its to the point I have thought about waiting til I could leave home .

2. SwiftKnight

Hi, I think you should first think about your safety.
    If you are still relying on your mum for financial support and all, then perhaps wait until you are fully independent of her.
    That being said, you could come out to other people such as people you feel you can trust (friends,other family members, counsellors, your dog/cat)

That's what i am doing right now :slight_smile:

I guess she is ignorant and uneducated about LGBT, and hence has all these misinformed judgment about them. Let her realize that you can still be happy and lead an awesome life despite your sexual orientation.

3. Kiss Da Girl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I understand all of that , but I have tried to educate her on the topic , but she always chalks it up to me being a stupid child .