1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a very interesting afternoon

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by hoping, Jul 29, 2008.

1. hoping

I shall start at the begining. In febuary in fell for a guy and we were going to go away for his birthday later on and i told my family i might be going away sometime.
    anyway my dad was here today and i knew my mum is controlling but this is trully fucked up, he told me that mum had called him and ranted and raved about gay men and pedophiles being after me i was 19 at this point so yeah right and in my dads words she was spewwing poision. so arent i in for fun when i bring home a guy

2. Louise

Have a chat with your mum, let her know that you are 20 years old and feel that it is time for her to let go a bit. I know your mum worries about you, but she has to see where her little boy ends and the man begins. Tell her that you need to make your own choices and decisions and be responsable for them, if they are good well that is fine then, if they are bad well then you will learn by them and not make the same mistake twice.

What was your dad's stand on all this? Could you go and live with him for a bit and let your mum see that you can manage without her? It seems to me that this is her biggest fear; that you won't be able to cope without her controlling your life.

3. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I totally agree with what Louise said. You should talk to her mom, if she can't accept the way her son is than she doesn't know the great person she's missing out on knowing. Try talking to her if you feel you need too. That's my best advice, I hope it all works out for you for the best! (*hug*)

4. hoping

My dad actually really shocked me and said that he doesnt care if im with a guy or a girl

5. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like your dad is an accepting person and you should consider telling him. Maybe once your dad knows and is accepting of you, it'll be easier on your mom...

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi! I agree with Louise and Gerry. From what you have said, your mom is worried and does care about you. Talk to your mom. Tell her (in a nice way) that you are old enough to make your own choices and that she can trust you that you will make the right ones. Maybe also bring up the things you do on a regular basis that highlight that you can take care of yourself and make the choices that you think are in your best interest.

It's great that your dad seems to be accepting. Maybe talk to him and perhaps if you feel that it would be good, try enlisting his support when you talk to your mom. I agree with Gerry, that if your dad is accepting maybe it will be easier on your mom and she might change her own perspective on it, which would also help you.