1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got a question.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by disneyfan, Apr 23, 2014.

1. disneyfan

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Ok, I got a question for anyone who wants to answer. My family is extremely religious. Anything outside of man-woman relationship they consider an affront to God. They have actually gone so far to tell me if I was any different, they would disown me. My question to the community is this: How do you come out to people like this? Is it even worth it?

2. BelleFromHell

No, it's definitely not worth it, IMO anyway...

I think you should only tell them once you've moved out and cut all financial ties with them.
    By then, it can give you an emotional release of some sort.

3. disneyfan

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Kinda what I was thinking.

4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you still live at home and depend on your family for safety and security, then it's not worth it now as you will expose yourself to all sorts of s**t.

In the long run (but only when you are independent and financially secure) you may find that you want to tell them. Some people need to be out to everyone to have that feeling of being truly liberated from the closet. Obviously, that would be difficult for you and you need to weigh up if you can live without the love and support of family - you may hate their views on LGBT issues, but it doesn't mean you hate them completely. I don't know how you feel?