1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future, coming out, and stuff...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Erzulie, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Erzulie

I am 23 years old. Now, at this age in my culture, half the women are already married. It is considered really late to be married when you are nearing your thirties.This is the time where everyone keeps saying ohh you have to be on the lookout for boys. I also come from a culture of arranged marriages. My parents had one, and barely spoke to each other before their wedding. (I know, crazy right?) I mean, they have a very good relationship now, but I digress. I don't think i could ever come out to my parents, but I also can't stay "single" forever. I don't have a girlfriend right now, but if I do have one in the future, i'm not really sure what i'm going to do about my parents. I feel like its none of their business who I date. I'm old enough and mature enough for it not to be. But they had a conversation with me recently and they were asking if I wanted help finding someone. And then they went on listing the qualities they want me to look for, (like someone taller than me, because i'm really short and they want me to have taller kids, etc..) It made me feel like they looked at finding a person to share my life with in the same way they look at shopping for furniture or something. Any advice for my situation. I know i'm not ready to come out to them just yet. I may never be ready, but its really difficult to say that its none of their business because marriage is going to be very expected after a certain age.

2. Emberblaze

This might be a rather ignorant question, but bear with me: in your culture, are arranged marriages still kinda prevalent? I mean, you wouldn't have to worry about your parents randomly coming home with a potential suitor and expecting you to marry him, would you? (I know, kinda ignorant question, but it still happens in some places, so I'm just checking).

Another question, do you live with your parents?

3. Erzulie

Its not an ignorant question, its valid from someone who does not come from the same background. Arranged marriages are still quite common, although not as stressed. Most modern parents are open if their kids bring someone home for them to meet. I don't have to worry about them bringing some dude home for me to marry, so that's a good thing. Also, I do not live with my parents, I live about 2 hours away from them though so I see them often.