1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out via text message?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by vetgal, Apr 24, 2014.

1. vetgal

A little background: I've been pretty sure about being a lesbian for years (10 at least) and I just now have my first girlfriend. She's going to visit and I want her to meet my friends, but I don't know how to tell them.

My main problem is that I don't have a lot of opportunities to tell my close friends privately because we only see each other at school, and the next time we go out will be when my girlfriend is here. I don't want to tell them in class because all the people around us will hear. Is it acceptable to tell them via text message? As far as I know they're LGBT supporters, so I'm not too worried about them condemning me for it. I just don't see any other option at this point! I was thinking something along the lines of a group text (I would only be telling 2 people) and saying "Hey guys, I have something I've been wanting to tell you but I haven't had the opportunity...obviously you don't know what it is yet but is it cool if I text it?!" and kind of gauge their response...and then just tell them that I've been dating a girl and I want them to meet her. Is that terrible?!

Another issue/concern I have is that I'm pretty sure they have absolutely NO clue that I'm a lesbian. First off, I "look straight". Sorry to be stereotypical but that's life...I'm very feminine and I've also played along with talking about "which guys are attractive" because I've been hiding this for years. So yeah, they think I'm straight 100%, especially because I hooked up with a guy a few years ago and they all know about it (again, my denial/trying to cover it up was pretty strong). I don't really know how to go about this without basically hitting them with a brick in the face.

Any advice would be much appreciated :slight_smile:

2. flymetothemoon

I don't think it's bad to let them know via text, but I would explain to them why you are telling them via text, letting them know you aren't ready for everyone to hear in class but you really want them to meet her because they're important to you. That way they know you aren't texting it because you don't think its important but because it is important to you and you want them to know.