1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to come out in the Army.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by eidolon72, Apr 25, 2014.

1. eidolon72

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've been the Army for few months now and no one knows I'm bi, but I'm very open about it at home but I can't build up the courage to tell my "battle buddies". Does any one have any tips? I'm tired of lying.:eusa_liar

2. stillhidden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hmm, I'm not very good at giving tips since I'm still working on some stuff myself, but do you trust someone there enough to come out to them? Like without them freaking out or telling others yet? Any really good friends?

3. Carpe Noctem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Try coming out to your closest friends first, then if their reaction is fine, you can be more open to everyone.

In the army I wasn't out and when some guys found out I was gay I had a really hard time, but I come from a much more homophobic country.

4. Woodland

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I went through a pretty similar dilemma myself a few months back as I am in the Army (U.S) as well. But unlike you I am not out to my family/civilian friends back home.

What worked for me was asking myself what I would gain and what I would potentially lose by "coming out". For me with less than a year and half left time in service the reward just wasn't worth it. I'm in a very good 'ol boy dominated part of the service and the people I work with are for the most part some pretty shitty human beings.

Depending on your MOS, your situation could be very different though.

5. eidolon72

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't have any REALLY close friends in the Army. I was expecting more comradery among soldiers but I find it more amongst my stoner buddies back home. I want to tell someone but I need to find a close friend to confide in.

6. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why don't you check out some of the Russ Marine videos on you tube, or contact him at the provided addresses. He has had very positive experiences being "out" and in the Marines. You might get some more specific advice from him.