1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Telling my therapist about Gender Dysphoria?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by glomerdian1, Apr 25, 2014.

1. glomerdian1

I haven't even started therapy, but I need to know when to bring this up
    First of all, I'm scheduled to see a therapist for specifically social anxiety, but I would really like to talk about gender dysphoria, among other things.
    There's a form I have to fill out which says to list "Recent life transitions/stressful events"
    Should I list "gender dysphoria" there? Is that too much? Or is it weird since they don't specialize in that?
    Or should I tell them when I see them? Is it better to just list all the problems so they have a structure to discuss?
    I'm not out to my parents, but I'd never get their attention for gender dysphoria, but If I got the attention of a therapist I'd like that better. My parents would think I'm stupid unless I have someone to back me up.

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Welcome to Empty Closets!

If you feel comfortable with writing 'gender dysphoria' on the form, it would be perfectly alright to do so.

When is your appointment? Is it just prior to when you have to fill out the form or will it be the next day? I'm asking because filling it out, might give the therapist a bit of time to consult (if it is not their field of expertise) and to suggest additional community resources that you could consult or seek out.

3. glomerdian1

The form is due the day I have the appointment, so I'm guessing they'll use it for reference.

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I see. I would think so as well that the therapist will use it as a reference then, and structure the first session around it. Just thinking about it, writing it on the form, might make it a bit easier on you as you then don't have to think about how to bring it up, or find a 'good moment.' Writing it out, you are setting the theme for the session right from the start. :slight_smile: