1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning a Facebook post

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Maicob, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Maicob

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had planned to make a big Facebook coming out post on National Coming Out Day. But I have a niece who will start school in a few years, and a nephew on the way. I don't think my brother will have a problem with it, but I would hate to think he was piling homophobia on my niece and nephew when knowing his brother is gay might have changed his perspective. It's hard to know since we've never really talked much.

I've been posting lots of gay propaganda on FB, and my interest is set to "Men," but I've never actually said it on Facebook where I'm sure he'll see it. Do you think it's worth moving up the schedule?

2. Iowan1976

I think you need to do what is comfortable to you and your situation. But based on what you posted, I think your brother will be okay with you based on who you are. He will show that with your niece and nephew.

If your niece is not even school age..like 4 years old? I don't really know of any parents who talk about issues like this with their kids... or maybe I am naive. I believe that these young kids are going to be more accepting of all different groups of people. They are going to grow up in a world that they will see as more accepting as more and more prominent people come out of the closet.