1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I talk to the school councillor

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Dskyler11x, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Dskyler11x

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So their is a councillor in my school and lately I've been really confused about my sexuality I don't know if I'm Lesbian,BI jesus I might just be straight and I don't want to talk to my parents or friends so would talking to someone I don't know work better.Just really need help and talk to some one. :bang::bang:

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's what school counselors are there for

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do you know any queer kids at your school, and is the councillor known for being an ally and helpful on these issues?

I ask that because, unfortunately, we cannot rely on adults by default. If you have any doubts about whether your councillor will keep your questioning in confidence, I hope that you would feel welcome to discuss your sexuality here.

For what it's worth, same-sex attraction is really fun and nothing to be ashamed of.

4. Dskyler11x

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Not going to lie I don't know anybody gay that's my fear that she'll be really judgemental

5. FreeRico

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If you don't think you can trust her, see if there are any gay groups there in your area. Try local colleges, if there are any where you live. I would think that any professional counselor would know to keep any negative feelings about anything someone says them personal and not violate the confidence. In fact, it's against the law for them to tell anyone what you say to them unless you threaten to harm yourself or someone else.

6. RedDev84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ultimately as people here have pointed out, if you don't trust her, don't speak to her.

I did speak to a school counselor a couple times but it wasn't LGBT related. In fact, I can't really remember what it was for, was a long time ago.

I can only remember that although I didn't find it very helpful, I was at least able to get a few things off my chest in confidence.

What kind of school are you at? We have 'C of E' schools here in the UK which stands for Church of England. I feel that religious focused schools will potentially react differently if you were to come out as anything to them (the counselor in this case)

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Right, but that doesn't mean that people don't do it. Besides, if the councillor does violate disclosure laws in this way, the OP now has to jump through legal hoops to turn that into an actionable issue.

What I'm saying is that we might want to distrust the councillor by default.

8. Dskyler11x

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I go to a catholic school which isn't very open to anything to do with gay people

9. Clay

If it's a catholic school then I have a feeling she'll just try to tell you you're wrong etc. Honestly I think, despite the fact it's terrible, she might just make you feel worse as she'll be fueled by her religion.

10. Dskyler11x

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That's one of my biggest concerns and then my friends will start asking questions and I don't really want to talk to them about it

11. Clay

Well, if you decide to speak to her, you could just tell your friends it's personal and you don't want to talk about it if they ask.