1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to EVERYONE

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Emmanuella, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Emmanuella

I don't want to start three separate threads, so I'll try to group it all here.

First of all, I am bi-sexual (although more along the lesbian side) and I am out to my mom as well as some of my closest friends. (About 5 or 6 friends know that I'm bi). So far, I have had nothing but positive reactions, and I want to come out to everybody, as I hate feeling like I'm "lying" to people.

1) My brother is one of the people that I'm not yet "out" to. I don't know why, but I can't bring myself to mention it to him. I live with him, and we share some common friends, some of whom know I like girls. Now, my brother is the FURTHEST thing from homophobic...in fact, he is probably less homophobic than I am :lol: Still, I cannot bring myeslf to just tell him. How would I do it? Wouldn't he think I've been lying to him all this time? (I'm sure he must suspect something). I don't want to make it a big announcement, but I'm too much of a wuss to bring it up in conversation. What would you do!?

2) I am not out to my dad...at all! This is easy since he lives in a different country. The problem is, he is VERY religious, and goes to church on a weekly basis. I strongly suspect that he and his side of the family are not that supportive of the LGBT community.
    I have my dad on Facebook, and at one point, I had posted something about being bi. He texts me immediately to ask what I meant by that. Then he wanted to have a "skype" chat that evening. I did not know what to do, or what to expect...so I ignored him. For about 2 months. When my birthday came around that year, he sent me a "modern day" Bible, and inside, he wrote that it was to help me make good life choices... I know EXACTLY what he was referring to, but I never brought it up. That was over a year ago and I don't know IF I should bother ever coming out to him. We are back to talking regularly, and it is as though he has completely forgotten about my Facebook post. Maybe he is removed enough from my life that it wouldn't be a big deal if I never came out to him??? Do I even need his support or CARE what he thinks?? I don't really think so...I already have my mother who is BEYOND cool about it :thumbsup:

3) Last but not least, I have some co-workers and friends that I am not out to. It is very awkward since half of my friends and co-workers know I like girls. Conversations are weird at times, since nobody knows *who else* knows, and nobody knows of it is okay for them to mention certain things in conversation. I also find myself almost "slipping up" with certain friends and saying things that would hint that I am into girls. The reason that I am not out to these people is because I am unsure of how they would react, and how their views about me might change. And once again, I am worried about them perceiving me as somehow "untruthful" ...

2. Dexter Colton

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Dear friend

Don't worry about length if you don't mind me writing long:icon_wink.

1) if I were you I would do what I did when I was once in the closet to some people. Tell your brother when your alone, so your father can't here. And say to him "Hey brother, if I were to be bisexual would except me?". If he questions say "just wondering". If he says that he would then tell him that you are and say that you wanted to know before you told him. If he doesn't say he will, we'll then I think you know my answer here.

2) I will keep this short. If you feel that your father should know then tell him, if not then don't, simple as that.

3) this were my part ends and your part starts. You know your friends better then I ever will. Tell your friends and co-workers that do know that other people don't know yet so don't bring it up until I say it's good to talk about it. Now it time start dropping subtle hints to the others who don't know. If what to know some subtle hints just ask.

If you have any questions just ask

See you later
    -Dexter