1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out when people think you are straight

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by The Sporkinator, Apr 28, 2014.

1. The Sporkinator

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hello. I only recently discovered this site and I will try to make this brief, but it may end up being a wall of text. I'm sorry if I go into too much detail, but I want to really explain my situation. :smilewave

I have told two VERY close friends that I am gay so far. I want to tell my sister (I live with my sister and my parents), but I do not "seem gay." I realize that it is a silly thing to say, but I have never met anyone who thought that I was not straight. The people that I know who "have an excellent gaydar" always say that I am straight. Enough backstory now, let's get to my dilemma.
    I was talking to my sister yesterday and the conversation turned to sexuality. She is straight, and she asked me if I was straight. I panicked and said yes. I don't know why, but I did and I can't change that. I didn't want to suddenly seem like I was changing my mind, so I continued saying that I am straight (I know that this was HUGE mistake, but I was feeling pressured :bang:slight_smile:. I trust my sister a lot and I know that she would accept me, but she told me that I "know what's up" and I don't "seem like someone who would be gay." I want to admit to her that I was not telling the truth and that I am gay and dispel some of the stereotypes that she has in her head (Like I said, she is very accepting, but she still believes in some of the stereotypes).
    So I want to know what to say to her and if I should wait to say something. Thank you very much for reading this and helping me, it is really appreciated. :thumbsup:

2. mkchoco

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I apparently don't seem that gay either. Honestly the only thing you can do is just straight up say it (hahaha- see what i did there?)
    It might be a little harder to come out to your sister considering you already told her you're straight. I understand how you feel completely about wanting to tell your sister so I would go for it whenever it feels right.