1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mom just gave me a headache...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by 2Bornot2B, Apr 28, 2014.

1. 2Bornot2B

So I've only just started coming out last week to a few friends, and my family still doesn't have a clue about who I really am. I was just talking on the phone with my mom and she talked about how her and one of her friends have this 'plan' for me and her oldest daughter to get married one day so that they can be in-laws.

Quick background, I've known this girl my whole life and she is like a sister to me. Before I started realizing the truth I did like her a lot. In fact I used to join in on the marriage joke with my mom. But even though I laughed along this time for the sake of appearances, it just isn't who I am, and i'm terrified of her reaction to the truth. I know she is will accept me for who I am in the long run (we've also had discussions about the LGBT community and she thinks as long as it makes them happy then she's fine with it.

I plan on telling her in a few weeks after finals and a big move that I have to help them with. If I could, I would have already begun HRT, had my FFS and SRS and be living my life my way. But the fear of losing my family (my entire extended family is really close-knit and losing that would be devastating) has kept me silent for years. But now that I've confessed out loud to my friends, I feel there is no turning back now. Anybody have any ideas for how to handle this?:help: Thanks.

PS- Sorry for the rambling rant, the dysphoria just smacked me after that talk with her.:icon_redf

2. Stacy in MA

Coming out is definitely scary - there is no way to know for sure how someone is going to react ahead of time so you are dealing with the unknown which is always difficult. From what you wrote it sounds like your Mom will ultimately be accepting even if it takes her a little bit of time to process (which it may not - she might be fine with everything from the start) - that's definitely a positive, and is something to remember if things don't to immediately go as well as you hope.

I understand some of your frustration - once you get started down the road of being open about yourself it can be hard to slow down. Only you can decide when the right time to come out to your Mom is - whenever that time is, I hope it goes well and your fears prove completely unfounded.