1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you get them to take you seriously?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by indigoHamsters, Apr 29, 2014.

1. indigoHamsters

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    (okay so I briefly mention cutting and I don't wanna trigger anyone so if that'll be a problem please don't read ><)
    So the other night while in the living room with my mom, I started trying to talk about how I'm not comfortable with my body and I really don't enjoy being a female and how I'm like 97.89% sure that I'm trans, but she didn't seem to listen. She's just making rude comments now and acting like every time I go to my room I'm gonna cut again because I told her how my dysphoria caused a lot of my cutting in the past and I just can't get her to take it seriously. She doesn't seem to get how big a deal this is to me. So how the heck do I get her to listen? To actually realize that I'm trying to talk about something important?

2. Emberblaze

Do you have other people you can talk about this with other than your mother?

3. Idris

Out Status:
    Some people
    Coming from experience, it's really difficult. I've been dealing with my mom being like that for over a decade. Every time I'd suggest that I was anything other than heterosexual, she'd brush it under the rug, and tell me things like "I haven't found the right guy," and things similar to it. I'm still dealing with it, even though I'm now on my second girlfriend since I've been out to her. She refuses to acknowledge that I have a girlfriend...and constantly refers her as a friend, yet, she's likely aware that my girlfriend is actually my girlfriend---it's just she's been in denial for well over three years. Never has taken me seriously, even as a teen. Always thought my sexuality was just a phase or that I was merely experimenting, but I'm pretty sure that I feel the same way now as I did at 13,14, 15, and 18. Came out three different times in the last year and a half, but gave up because she still lives in denial. Anyways, I would recommend finding some friends that are LGBT or supportive allies who can be there and form a supportive group that you can rely on if your family stresses you out. I reccomend counseling as well, having a person there that you can confide in really does work wonders. I also journal, and do art as a way of coping, as I suffer from anxiety. It really does help getting those thoughts and feelings out there:thumbsup: