1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out to my uncle?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Nell, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Nell

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hi guys,
    This is my first post here and I need a little bit of advice.
    All of my friends know that I'm a lesbian, but no one in my family knows yet. I'm a little bit reluctant to tell any of the family members that I'm close to, like my mum or my nan, but I'm wondering if it may be a good idea to talk to my uncle about it. He's openly gay so I'm hopeful that he'd be more understanding about it. I've asked my friends and they've warned me against it in case in backfires against me so I'd just like to get other people's opinions.
    Any thoughts?
    Chanel :icon_bigg

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why not...just, you know, just be prepared for other people to find out about it. I'm not saying your uncle won't keep it a secret if you ask...just...it's a possibility :slight_smile:

3. Perfection

If your uncle knows what it's like to come out, then I definitely recommend coming out to him first. He, most likely, won't judge you because he knows what it's like. Also, if you ask him to not tell anyone, then I'm sure that he would respect your privacy. That being said, I don't know your family or your uncle, so don't take my advice if you, personally, don't think that it is valid. No matter what you do, good luck with your coming out!

4. Onehopeisadream

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I bet your uncle will accept the fact that your coming out :slight_smile: If he experienced it, he can understand. No one can judge you, remember that :slight_smile: