1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Over a text?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Perfection, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Perfection

I've come out to two friends, and they both responded amazingly! Now, I want to come out to the rest of my friends, but I want to tell my current girl friend first. I'm really scared to tell her, and I want to tell her over a text, but that seems really tacky. I know that she will take it pretty well, but I'm really scared. Does anyone have any comments on the whole text it to her idea?

2. Best of Both

Best of Both Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think you should tell her face to face

3. valerie247

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think it would be better received if you wrote a heartfelt letter and gave it to her in person for her to read while you wait. Of course face to face conversation is best, but if you can't bring yourself to do it, I would go with the letter before sending a text.

4. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I agree with above. A text does seem a it impersonal.

Happy days :slight_smile:

5. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Face to face is better imho. But then again I've only come out through text so far

6. Perfection

I'd just like to thank all of you for your advice. Though it's not necessarily what I wanted to hear, I do respect all of your opinions and will most likely listen to it! I plan on telling her tomorrow, so I'll tell you what I chose to do and how she reacted! Once again, thank you!

7. oliro

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Do you think it will be awkward after you tell them , and then you see them?

8. kyfry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do it face to face. If you do it that way and talk to her serriously about it she should be able to read your emotions and soften the blow better than over a text.

9. its

its

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I would recommend face to face, but if you feel as if she would physically harm you in that scenario, go with text. This way, u won't be in the same room if her reaction is bad. It really just depends on how you feel she would take the info. Or maybe try a phone call, or even FaceTime. These seem more sincere than a text, but not necessarily face to face. You get what I'm sayin'?

10. GayNurse95

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    tell her in direct contact, face to face.
    Also, super important you have someone there with you.
    I would recommend having a straight ally. When I came out to my papa, I had my older sister there. MY oldest one was in ND. Having an ally makes things WAY easier.
    I would advise to find someone who is older, responsible, and a straight ally.
    I don't recommend using a gay person or someone who is questioning. The reason is because some parents/friends are weird and amy think they are "making" you gay.
    If you choose to use a homo for reinforcement, tread carefully. I do not know your mother or friend, but definitely tell them face to face and use back up.

11. Perfection

Thank you for the additional advice that was recently posted! Luckily, I do not feel like she will harm me in any way, but I will definitely bring one of my friends along with me. Unfortunately, I said that I would tell her today, but I got too scared. I'm going to try to do it tomorrow. As soon as I tell her, I will tell the world (or at least my friends and sister and maybe parents), so hopefully I'll be able to tell her tomorrow.

12. stillhidden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Good luck for tomorrow! You can do it! :slight_smile:

As someone who just came out to my best friend, I definitely recommend face to face. I'm kind of shy, so I understand the preference for using text over doing it in person. But when you do it in person with a friend (who you trust), it feels so great to have them be there with you. For me, I don't think I'll be able to come out to my parents face to face. I just don't want to be there when it happens (so I'll leave a letter). They would just start throwing bibles at me and reading me scriptures and all that.