1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can i come out to my Mom and Dad?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Onehopeisadream, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Onehopeisadream

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My mom and dad HATE the fact of lesbians and gays. Which i think is cruel....... If i told her i am lesbian, she would disown me!!!!! Im super scared of the fact that she would disown me..... Should i keep it a secret or something else? I. NEED. HELPPP :icon_sad: :tears:

2. Clay

How old are you? Why do you think they would disown you?

3. its

its

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Had a similar situation, only I'm bi.

Told my parents. They were all like "ur too young! You can't possibly know already! It's a phase! there aren't schools for gays! As far as you are concerned, you are asexual until you are 18!" My dad doesn't talk to me the same way anymore. It was a rough experience. I think the only reason I still talk to my dad is because I'm bisexual, not full out gay (dad says that "there is still hope for me to be normal). Boy are they in for a treat when I tell 'em I'm trans.

They aren't accepting, because they grew up in a society where homophobia was acceptable. Times have changed, and they still have the old mindset. I wonder if your mom shares this mindset as well. Do you know what may cause her to show homophobic feelings toward the LGBT community? Maybe she has a religious standpoint? Finding out the reasons why she feels this way may help you to understand exactly how she feels about your coming out.

I don't know how old you are, chances are that you are older than me, but many people decide to wait until they can be self-supporting(aka having a job and making enough money to live without financial aid) before coming out. This way, if worse comes to worse, you will have some way of living if, for example, disowned.

If you feel that you *NEED* to tell someone, maybe try coming out to a friend. It is always good to have your friends to back you up when you are in a bad situation.

There is no way to force your parents into being accepting, there is no way IN HELL that my dad will ever be supportive. You don't know, however, that you will be disowned. I would try to think positive. Maybe write your parents a sincere letter, come out, and try to talk about feelings, how you "know", and your future. Make sure that you include things like "no, I'm not going to be a prostitute, or go to hell, or be a pedophile. YOU CAN STILL HAVE GRANDCHILDREN!" My parents were concerned about all these things.

I'm sorry if this is too personal from my end, but I really hope that this advice helps you out! If it makes you feel any better, *I* will always support you! (*hug*)

Woah. I kinda sound like Kids Help Phone. Weird.

Go to resources for examples of some coming out letters.