1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any advice on coming out to my sister?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Cheese Love, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Cheese Love

In theory this should be really easy, but it's not.

Anyway, so I want to come out to my older sister who's twenty. In junior high, she asked me if I was bisexual. Mortified, I denied it. Questions like that have come up from time to time ever since for five years, the most recent one a few months ago. She was talking about sexuality and said, ".... So what are you?" She set it up for me to say it, but I ended up saying I didn't know =/

She's bisexual, on and off dating this girl, more or less out to my family, totally out to all of her friends (considering the majority is gay, all of them are very gay-friendly), but I can't bring myself to say it :[

I know she knows, and she probably knows I know she knows, if that makes sense :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

When it comes down to it... Because she is so open, I don't trust her to not tell anyone and I don't want to become this "Aww cute lol" story among all of her gay friends. The girl she involved has already called me a lesbian before, she also tried impying it because I listen to the Dresden Dolls but she just doesn't get that I'm not comfortable saying it.

It's just painfully obvious so I'd like to get it over with. She made me a friendship bracelet a month or so ago and today she's like, "I want to make you a real bracelet! How about rainbow? Gay pride, right?" It's hard to have a complete conversation with her without her mentioning something gay...

Anyway, I'm almost more comfortable with a heart-to-heard coming out kind of thing, but when you know someone won't care I don't want to make a big deal out of it.

Is there any easy way to say it?

2. smilealways

smilealways Guest

If you think she knows, why just not tell her then? You can just tell her if she brings up that type of conversation again, but only if you think you would benefit from doing it.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tell her your concerns. Let her know that while she's out and proud, and you're really happy about that...you're not there yet. You're still coming to grips with it yourself. You don't feel comfortable about the whole thing yet. And you're afraid that if you confide in her, that she'll tell everybody, and frankly, you're not ready for that step.

...she should understand.

Lex

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Take your time. When you do come out to her, tell her about your feelings for girls, and at the same time let her know that you have told this to her in confidence. You want to be the one to tell others when you are ready. Also, and as Lex mentioned, let her know that you are not ready for the step of 'being out and proud.'

I am sure she will understand. She faced the same situations that you do right now and knows only too well how difficult this might be for you.

5. Leigh

Leigh Guest

what about opening a conversation asking her if she had any difficulties coming out , and if it was hard for her at first saying "im gay"... and then let it go from there..

6. Cheese Love

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll definitely give this a go pretty soon :astonished:
    I guess I'm just looking for an easy way, but it can't always happen like that.