1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please, help me

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by nathand, Apr 30, 2014.

1. nathand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Dear friends,

I was searching for some forum where I can talk about my current situation. So, I found this site, and I hope you will be able to help me. I am coming from Croatia, and I am gay. I have a boyfriend, and for 4 months we are in a long distance relationship. It is really a distance (750km, 470miles). This guy I really love. We met online, chatted for a long time, and realized we really like each other. I decided to visit him, and so I did. As we met at the bus station, it was a love at first sight. That hug and that kiss told us everything. We spent 3 days together, and cried as never before when I was leaving. As we couldn't much without each other, I visited him again, and we were together for 12 days. Those 12 days were the best days of my life. It was amazing. I really feel for this guy and he feels for me. We chat every day, do the skype for hours, even sleep together with skype on. His parents accepted him and me without problem and I feel safe when I am with him. I can really say we feel for each other.

However, I am not out to my parents. Or, I wasn't out, until my sister told my mother that his son is not sure if he likes girls or boys. My mother went crazy. As I didn't want to lie to her, I just told her about my boyfriend, which this guy became after first time we met. She couldn't believe because each time I went to him, I told my parents I go visit my girlfriend. This time I just said I could not have sex with her and that she is not attracting me neither do other girls. I just said: I like boys. My mom can't believe. She is shocked. I understand because I was always talking about girls because I was afraid that she will find out I do not like them. But, it took time for me to accept me for who I am. I am now 20 years old, and for 10 years I was trying to be someone who I am not. And I do tell her that, but she does not want to listen. She just wants me to keep trying, but she can't realize that I do not like girls. I try to explain it to her but she just says: Is this what we deserved; You killed us; Tell your father, it will kill him, and death is better than this; I will kill myself... These are awful things I hear every single day. And every single day I am planning to visit my boyfriend just to give him a hug, or just to kiss him, but I can't. And it kills me. It really does. I cry for days. I can't sleep and I take pills for sleeping. Each time I speak with my boyfriend on skype, she enters my room and makes that stupid face expression of disgustion. Once she even said: "Why are you talking with that faggot" and my boyfriend heard her. I mean, I really feel awful, miserable and sad. Haven't seen my boy for 2 months now. I keep sending him chocolates, letters, CD compilations with our favorite songs.. I even asked my mother to watch "Prayers for Bobby" but she doesn't want to.

Now, I am starting with my job as my college year finished. I will earn some money and get some days off. I will want to go to visit him, and I think she will not let me go, or she will tell my father everything. He was in a hospital at the beginning of this year, he almost died, and I don't know how he will react. I do not know if I should tell him now, or wait or I just don't know. I don't want them to prohibit me from going to him and I think they will. I do not know how we are going to go through all this, and all I know is that I do not want to loose this guy. We really are soulmates. I really do not know what to do. I am out to my cousin. She supports gay people and I wanted her to talk with my mother at least. But my mother don't want anyone to know. I just feel hopeless. I love my parents. I never missed anything in life, they are paying highest tuition rate at private college at my country but still I like that guy and I do not want to loose him. Do you maybe have some suggestions?:tears::tears::tears:

2. Rexmond

Sounds to me like you need to get away from your household ASAP. There are a few options you can choose from, though I am not sure which would be the most reasonable. That's something you will have to decide for yourself based upon what you are/are not able to do. Your mother has made you fear coming out to your family because you knew how'd she react for too long. Don't let her waste any more time of your life.

a. You say that you and your boyfriend have known each other for a long time now, and that you are in love. He is also out to his parents, and from what it seems like, they are supportive towards him. If that is the case, perhaps you move out of your house and go live with your boyfriend? That's something you'll have to discuss with him, because you'll need to know if his parents would allow that (if he lives with his parents).

b. Tell your dad, and let your parents know that nothing they say or do will change who you are. If it comes to it, give your parents an ultimatum - tell them that the choice is theirs: you either accept me for who I am or you lose your son.

3. elishe248

Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that you need to consider your priorities. So lets make a list.

1. Your safety: Nothing, not family or boyfriend, comes before your own physical and mental safety.

2. Your future: Once your immediate safety is secure, you have to look to your long-term safety. That means a house, a job, education.

I know you are in pain, and I know you are in love, but these two things must come before all else. If losing your parents will mean losing either of these, do whatever you need to do to placate them for now. If necessary, tell your mom that you were wrong and this was just a phase. If your boyfriend truly loves you, he will understand and support you in doing what you need to do is order to be safe. Then, arrange to no longer be reliant on your parents. Move out. Get a job. Finish your schooling. Become self-sufficient. Then you can love your boyfriend openly and happily and forever. And know to that we love you. You sound like a great guy and so does your boyfriend. I'm happy for you that you found each other. Good luck.

4. Kenaz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I will concur with @elishe248. With that said, do not feel that you should have to negate your true feelings or true self. There is nothing wrong with you or what you are feelings, it is an immense gift to know yourself and let yourself feel love and loved. However, as you said your parents are funding your future, take advantage of this. It is not worth putting your safety and future at risk right now. You and your boyfriend can work this out if it has any lasting value and foundation -- it should be mutual respect, love, and care for each other. This is important for you. His parents know and are OK -- you and him have to deal with the reality of your parent's coming to terms with this.

As for your parents, I am truly sorry you have to experience this. My advice to you is to try and put yourself in their shoes. I am not condoning their reaction or actions, those are unfair to you and just simply inconsiderate of you. However, please consider studying and understanding their behavior from the lens of an objective outsider, perhaps pretend you are a psychologist and are analyzing this situation. Parents often project their intentions, their perceptions, on us as kids -- we also do this to everyone else in our lives. Many times these ideals or ideas in our head about reality or people are not as accurate as we would like to think. When we find ourselves with a conflict between our perception or ideals and how reality turns out to be, we do not like this and we rebel at it. Your mother is experiencing that right now.

To summarize:

(1) Accept reality as it is and work with it -- do what is best for YOU.
    (2) You are beautiful and it is equally magnificent and special that you are your boyfriend have found each other -- enjoy that feeling and experience. Do not ever question whether there is something wrong with you. Love yourself and build a strong support network (here is a good start, but seek out people you trust or perhaps support groups in the area).
    (3) Keep talking to us.
    (4) Remember that this is not the end of the world and things WILL change and get better. Situations will change. Do what you need to go, get good grades, and excel so that you can gain more independence and support yourself and not worry about being at the will or mercy of others, in this case your parents and their reactions or accept/non-acceptance of your actions. You are an adult but refer back to #1 and the prior advice on not sabotaging your own future.
    (5) If it gets violent or there is harm to you because of this, GET OUT. Again, your personal safety and well-being is primary here.

Oh yea... (&&&)

You'll be fine. You are alive -- and all the pains, struggles, and love is part of this. Enjoy that you can feel and experience and be alive. Take a deep breath, smile, stretch, laugh, and appreciate this roller coaster ride. :thumbsup:

5. nathand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey, thanks for your reply. It really means a lot to me. I agree that I need to move out of my household, and what I like is that my boyfriend told me that we can find some apartment to live in, rent it and while he is working, I can search for job. However, my parents spent lots of money for two years of my college and I find this decision hard to make because if I do not finish this college, I am nothing and no one. Maybe, I can freeze (pause) one year and then continue, but I think if I move out, my parents will find that as a act of disrespect and even tough they love me, I think their pride will not let them call me and say: "Come back home". I see that my mother still cares for me, because each time I go out, she calls and asks if I am good, when I will be back home, don't be late etc.
    I will try to tell them to accept me or they will loose me, but, from their perspective, I chose to be gay, and by choosing that, I am loosing them, which is completely wrong. I told my mother that all of this is about my feelings, and if they can't accept it, they can at least respect it, or they will loose me. But I will not loose them.

Well, for now, my mental health is o.k. Before having this guy by myself I tried to jump off a cliff but my friend told me it is a stupid idea, and I realize it was. Sometimes, I think I would do it again if I loose my boyfriend, because I am weak because of all things my mother says. But, now I am fine, proud to be gay, and proud to see kind of a person I am becoming. I tried once to lie to my parents. I used to say that I am going to capital of Croatia, but I was going 300km east.. It is a terrible feeling. And my father works in a police and can easily find where I am. When I went to my boyfriend I was so scared that they will find out where I was, I could not relax. His support helped me.

This is what will happen. They will say: "Until you are living under the same roof with us, you have to listen to us" and I will not let someone control me that way. That is why I plan to move to my boyfriend and he totally supports it. But this means loosing education, because parents will no longer pay for it, and getting boyfriend and housing. I am so confused and so so scared. Can't stop thinking about it:tears:

And that for the nice words. I hope my boyfriend will have enough patience to go with me through this. I ask much, but it is not my choice.

---------- Post added 30th Apr 2014 at 05:56 PM ----------

I am currently giving 100% to my boyfriend and so does he. I love him and he loves me. But he said he can love me more and that we need to meet to develop that love. He told me that seeing each other twice in 6 months is not a relationship for him. He then apologized and said he do not want to loose me, but I am just afraid that he will cool down just because of my parents. And I totally understand him. And, I understand my parents, but they are not understanding me, and the most hurts is they do not try to! This is what is killing me :icon_sad:

6. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you think it would help if some of us here wrote anonymous letters to your parents, by posting them here for you to give to them, to try and explain to them that this is not some choice you are making about your sexuality, but that it is a part of you and will never change? And explain that they are damaging you by their actions to try and force you to go against your natural feelings and sexuality? That there is nothing "wrong" with you, only that you are wired differently from most other people and that what is right for the majority of people would be disastrous for you and the woman you tried to marry and pursue a heterosexual relationship with? I think some people here could do this most eloquently if it would help.

7. nathand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Give it a try. Still, my parents speak English a bit, and it will require me to read it to them. That is why I think it will not have such an effect. Mother keeps on repeating: why are you listening only to the gay people, why don't you consult and listen to the straight ones. Her opinion is someone converted me into gay and I know it is not true.

#7 nathand, Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  8. nathand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In a few days I am gonna tell my father I am gay. I really think he will says: go out of the house and never come back :frowning2:

9. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! If you know that your dad won't be accepting, and what his reaction could be, why do you still want to come out to him?

10. nathand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Because, ever since, my family share all their problems. I know this isn't a problem, but I think that for my mother it is hard to keep it for herself. I do not know, but I just want him to know, because I really think I can't lie anymore :icon_sad: I know he will not accept it good, but maybe he will help my mother get through it easier. In the end, he is man. As much as this will kill him or whatever, he is the one who is supposed to be the strong one.

Just now I talked with my mother. She can not accept the fact that my sexuality is not something I chose. She says that by choosing this, I am killing myself and them as well. And what bothers me is that none of the things I said didn't make her think about the fact that I did not choose it. I really do not know how to explain it to her and it kills me. I feel like I am in a war without any weapons. :tears::tears::tears:

11. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry to read that the conversation with you mum ended this way. (*hug*) I know and understand that this will continue to be hard for you but from everything you have said about your dad, I don't think coming out to him is such a good idea at this point. It might not make things easier on your mum either. In fact, his (potential) reaction could actually re-confirm her own beliefs about homosexuality.

Sometimes you have to give things time. Only with time, will your mum come around, and come to an understanding that homosexuality is not a choice. Sometimes, it is also good to take a step back. You have tried talking with her, which is good, but now let it be for a while. Let that conversation sink in, as it were.

Given that you are dependent on your parents, that should factor into your decision-making here. You don't want to do something that will have you end up without any support. You want to find a 'middle ground' for now. (*hug*)

12. nathand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I just want to fight for my happiness. And I just want to fight for love of my boyfriend. Because, I don't want to loose him, because of their false beliefs.:tears::tears::tears:

13. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First, I just came back from Croatia … and love it !!!

Second.. if you are 20 you are an adult and able to make life decisions without "approval" of your mother

Third, your mother is in denial. But she will agree in the end when she has had time. Don't let her destroy your friendship with your BF

Be careful with your tactics and timing .. if the parents make you leave and you have nowhere to live, or money, that would be a big problem !!

#13 bingostring, May 4, 2014
    Last edited: May 4, 2014
  14. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here is the letter I would send to your parents; feel free to use it as you wish. Best wishes for a good outcome for you. -- Yossarian

Dear Parents,

Your son tells me that he is gay and that he has told you this, trying to be honest with you about himself, but that you think that he is choosing to be gay and all he has to do is choose to be straight instead. As any of us who are can tell you, this is not something you can choose or disown. It is the way you are born to be. The best way I can explain this is for you to consider how you felt when you were his age. You probably were attracted to men, without understanding why you felt this way. When you would see a handsome man you wanted to be with him, and wanted him to want to be with you. Some men, perhaps your husband, you were particularly attracted to, and he to you. You did not choose to feel this way, you simply were attracted to him in a way that you could not explain to anyone. You enjoyed his company and he yours. You enjoyed doing things with him and probably wanted to hold him in your arms and have him hold you. You wanted to spend your life together with him and raise a family with him.

This is the way your son feels about his boyfriend. He enjoys spending time with this other man. He wants this man to be with him. He does not know why he feels that way, but he does feel that way. In the same way that you were attracted to men, your son feels an attraction to men. He can no better explain WHY he feels this way than you can explain WHY you felt a love for men, but he knows that he does. He wants to spend his life with a man, just as you did, knowing that this is what is right for him.

When a person is gay, it is very important that they meet and partner with another person who they feel this same kind of love about as you did for your husband. For reasons that no one knows, this need is only met by a person who happens to be of the same gender as they are. They do not choose to feel this way, but they do realize that that is how they are born to feel about other people. If they were to try and feel the same way about a woman, they would find that as impossible as it would be for you to feel that kind of love and connection to a woman; they simply are not "made" to feel that way.

Because we gay people are different from straight people in whom we find ourselves attracted to, it is very important that we partner with people who are also gay, because these are the only people who can truly understand how we feel about each other. We can never forge this kind of a bond with a woman, just as you could not do so. When your son sees his boyfriend, who is also gay, he sees someone who feels and thinks like him, who understands him, and who can love him because of their mutual attraction. If you try to force him to deny his feelings and pretend to care for women, you are compelling him to misrepresent himself to her in order to appease you or your husband and live his life as a lie. He naturally resents this and only wants you to show him love and understanding of how he was born to be, which only he knows, and has been honest about this to you instead of lying to you and pretending to be something he is not.

None of us CHOOSE to be gay. Our lives would be much simpler and easier if we were born to be straight as about 95% of the population is. The reality is that about 5% of the people in the world are born gay. This is more than people who are born with red hair, so it is not "unusual" or "abnormal", it is just how some of us are, including your son. You should not be that concerned or upset because this is how he happened to be born to be. Millions and millions of other people are the same way, so he will be able to find someone who shares this trait to live a long and happy life with. You should also not be "ashamed" of him, because he is doing nothing wrong by being gay. He is only living his life as it must be lead to make sense for him and his chosen partner.

Your role as a good parent is to understand that this is not a choice he has made, but how he came out of your womb to be. It is not your fault or his that it was his fate to be gay, but because he is, it is very important that you understand and support him. He IS going to have a more difficult life than your other children because of this. Some not very nice people will dislike him because he is gay, simply because he is different from them; usually these are the most ignorant and intolerant people in the community, not those who have educated themselves to understand what it is to be gay, and to accept gay people as their equals. Because of this prejudice and the difficulties he will face, this makes it even more important that you and his father show that you understand the difficulties he will face and and be there for him as the loving parents he can turn to when other people are cruel to him. This is what parents are supposed to do; to show unconditional love to their children to help them face the difficulties they will face in the outside world, and provide a safe and loving home which the children can return to to renew their strength when the outside world treats them badly and unfairly.

I have read things your son has written that concern me about how helpless and depressed he sometimes feels because of the resistance you are showing to his being gay. While he seems to be handling the pressures you are putting on him, this lack of support, and particularly pressuring him to be something he can never be can sometimes caused severe depression which becomes overwhelming to a young adult. Depression due to sexuality issues and stresses is a major cause of suicide attempts in young gay people. As a parent, I would urge you to watch a movie made about a mother who tried to force her son to "not be gay", as though he could "pray the gay away". She was supported in doing this by her church and eventually made life so unpleasant for her son that he moved away from home to avoid her. After being made to feel so bad about himself and his gayness, he eventually was overcome by his inability to please his parents and deal with his situation and killed himself. The rest of the movie describes how she came to understand how wrong she had been to try to change him instead of supporting him through his difficulties, when he desperately needed his parents to help him. This movie is named "Prayers for Bobby" and is a professionally made movie done with first quality actors which anyone can enjoy, even if the situation described does not apply to their family. In the case of a family with a gay child, it is very helpful to understand what the child is feeling and to see how they can help rather than further injure their gay child. I urge you to try and watch this movie, preferably with your son if possible, and to talk about it with him afterwards. He needs your support and understanding, and this movie will explain what your role in providing that support can be, and how important it can be that it be done.

I wish you the best in helping your son deal with his problems and urge you to seek additional information about what it means to be "gay" and how a gay child's parents can help their children survive and thrive in spite of the additional difficulties they will face in life.

His friend, Yossarian

15. nathand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey, happy to hear that you visited us. I am glad you had a nice stay. It really is a nice country, but when it comes to the topic of LGBT people, it is not so nice.

I know I am an adult but they are paying my college tuition which is high. The only thing that keeps me with them actually is that private college, which can give me a nice future after I finish it.

I know she is in a denial, but I do not know how to help her, what to say to make her think differently, because if I continue on living the way I did for so many years, hiding my feelings, saying what she want to hear, I will be unhappy and she will live in some kind of an illusion. I just want her to realize, to listen. Not just to exit my room crying and thinking who knows what. It just hurts me because after she told me she is going to kill herself I can't sleep. I keep listening if she got outside the house, or something..

If they will not allow me to visit him, and I have my own money to finance it. They will not allow me to go and it is without any valid reason. It is just their false beliefs which will one day change eventually. Or most probably will not. But all I want is r e s p e c t. Why is it so hard for them.

If they kick me out, I will live with my cousins or with my boyfriend. But they will lose me for being stupid.

16. Aldrick

Hey Nathand.

I'm going to try and not repeat what others have said, though I largely agree with most of it.

On the boyfriend front: If at all possible he should begin making plans to move closer to you so that you can finish school. He should begin looking for a job in your area, and with your job you both can rent an apartment together and jointly cover expenses. From everything I've read about long distance relationships, the key to making them work is having a plan in place to be together in the future. Knowing that there is a time frame involved helps make it feel like there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

On the family front: Your mother is a major problem, obviously, but if you think your father will kick you out and cut off support that's an even bigger problem. You are in a difficult position because you're financially dependent upon them. You need the money they offer for your future.

Her saying ridiculous things like: "you're killing me, you're killing our family" and other such things are all attempts at emotional blackmail. Since she thinks you are choosing to be gay, she's attempting to blackmail you into choosing to be straight. The issue you face at the moment, is whether or not she'll tell your father.

If she's trying to persuade you not to tell him, then that's a good sign. That means she'll likely also keep her mouth shut. However, if she's threatening to tell your father (as a threat or an attempt to blackmail you) then you can turn the emotional blackmail back on her. Accuse her of trying to ruin the family. Talk about your father's illness, and claim that if she tells him she'll kill him, and his blood will be on her hands. Use whatever leverage you need, and every dirty manipulative tactic you can think of to keep her mouth shut.

That may sound cruel, but what's even more cruel is the reality of you losing your education because your parents are bigoted against gay people. You don't want to be fucked over because of them, and so you need to put what is best for you before what is best for them.

Work as hard and as swiftly as you can to get your own place. Tell your Dad it's because you want more freedom and independence, and that you want to have some experience of living on your own... or whatever other excuse would seem to make him happy.

You don't have to mention anything about your boyfriend to them, but if your Dad happens to meet him then he's your roommate.

Once the final check is cashed, and you are no longer dependent upon your parents - then you can tell your father.

What happens if your mother tells your father: Well, you can't stop her from doing it if she's determined to do it. So you'll just have to live with the consequences. The goal with your boyfriend should still be the same.

I am unsure how student loans work in your country, but you might be able to take some out and pay for your own education. It will be expensive, but that's generally how things are done in the United States. People take out student loans and pay them off later after they have a job. On the bright side, you'd only be paying for what your parent's haven't already paid.

Whatever happens, you have to finish your schooling. That's not even an option. As horrible as it sounds, it's better to lose your boyfriend than to lose your education. You can find another boyfriend, that's a certain thing. You will struggle to find a better future. Abandoning your schooling to move closer to him is a horrible idea, that will cost you too much. He should instead be planning to move closer to you so that you can finish school.

17. nathand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My boyfriend started working after finishing high school and has a really good job. I do not want him to give up ob that because of me, because I am not able to give him any better future. It would be much easier for me to go and live with him after ai earn some money this summer.
    I don't know. There is only one solution: give up and stop foghting for him, my happiness and future only because my parents are completing their obligation to give their child food and education. Sorry to my parents for not being able to live their happiness. I am gay and will always will be. One day I will either kill myself because they will never accept it and will torture me emotionally like they already do,
    or I will lose my boyfriend I really think is the right one and the one I love, stay unhappy, until one day they find out they were wrong. And I will lose him because of them. They are so fu*ed u. Sometimes I hate them, because they hate
    me to. They hate their gay son who is the same person as he always was, just loves other boys.

18. Aldrick

He doesn't have to relocate before finding a new job. He can search for a job in your area, secure that job, and then relocate to the new job. We're not talking about relocating within the next week or two - maybe three, four, maybe six months down the line.

He has his current job and the experience he's earned from it, so he can look for another job in the same field. Maybe one that even pays a bit more.

You don't have to give anything up, so long as your mother doesn't tell your father, and he doesn't react the way that you fear he might. What your parents do or say is on them, you're not responsible for their feelings or opinions. They are responsible for their own actions and words.

19. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Take a step back, because in the grand scheme of things might not turn out to be all too bad. (*hug*)

You and I know that your parents were brought up and have always lived in a culture and society that shunned homosexuality for a very long time. Not to defend your parents, but the reality is that your parents have only known that. And you know what? You are the best person to educate your parents, because being gay, and trying to live your life and succeed will give them a chance to see something different. Yes, it is foreign to them but you, and only you, have the power to make it familiar.

So, don't give up. Don't throw in the towel. People can change.

Let me take my own parents as an example. My dad is from Serbia and my mom is from Italy, two societies (as you know) that don't hold particularly favourable views on homosexuality. My parents growing up in both countries respectively, of course grew up with certain cultural values and norms that didn't leave a lot of room (if any) for 'homosexuality isn't a problem.' During my teen years and later on, I realized that my parents had certain preconceived notions about homosexuality, and I did get the sense that they weren't all that accepting or supportive. There were instances where my mom's reaction to seeing two gay guys kiss, wasn't a positive one. However, and as time passed, my mom and dad changed their views. Despite my mom's religious views (she is catholic) she has accepted that I am gay, and doesn't make a connection between her religious beliefs and my sexual orientation. My dad was actually the first one of the two to get up from the couch after I uttered the words "I am gay," and said there is no problem with it and to follow what makes me happy. To be honest, I was more surprised at my parents' reactions than they were surprised that I am gay.

The point is that parents can and most likely will come around. Will it be easy? Probably not. I know that it took my parents some time to understand that homosexuality isn't a problem and that it is something that is part of every society. Sure, there are still times where I have to 'correct' my mom on things but it's all part of the 'education.' After I came out, I did have a longer chat with her about what it means to be gay to me personally. It has helped her to understand not only me better but also that at the core, I'm still the same person.

Your mom knows that you are gay. She knows that you have a boyfriend. You have already done the hard part. You have let her know about an important part of you. Give her a bit of space and time. Time is going to be your friend.

As hard as this is going to be, let your mom know that you are willing to speak with her about you. You are willing to help her to understand you. She might not be ready to listen to it all at once, and you might have to go back several times, and it might feel you have to start the conversation over again, but eventually she will be ready to listen to it all. Eventually, she will be able to set her preconceived notions aside, and realize that all they do is just hurting you. Eventually, she will be able to let go of her dreams of what your life would look like, and leave the mourning of a life she thought you would have behind her. Eventually, she will be able to say, "I am okay with it." Similarly for your dad.

You know that your parents love you, and they are proud of you. You know that they have supported you, and always will support you (even though it might not always show itself). I am pretty sure they don't hate you.

If you can, ask your boyfriend for support in helping you, to help your parents understand you. Sometimes, having that extra support can provide additional strength and motivation to go back into the house and say: "this is me, and I hope you can and will understand that I have not changed, and that I just want to live my life the way it is meant to be." (*hug*)

20. nathand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Guys, I need your advice. Few days ago I started with my seasonal job. I work as a hotel bellboy. Also, today I finished my sophomore year at the college. So, my boss told me that June, 1st, 2nd and 3rd he will give me days off. And, so I planned to go and visit my boyfriend, because I miss him quite a lot. My friend, who graduates in few days, on June 1st goes to Zagreb because it is her hometown. So, I would like to go with her and tell my parents that I will stay at her place, but I will go to Osijek, a city where my boyfriend lives (it is 4 hours bus drive from Zagreb). So, as my mother knows that I am in love with this guy, she will probably suspect that I went there for him, because I never went to Zagreb just like that, with no reason. And now, I don't know if she will tell my father. So, I don't know if I should tell them that I am gay and that I go visit him, or I should lie.