1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Telling parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Derivative, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Derivative

Derivative Guest

Hello everyone.

I recently came out to my friend; albeit when I was slightly intoxicated, but the reaction I got was a positive one (more of the fact I trusted her enough to come out to her :slight_smile: ). Following this I have told a few other friends and happy reactions from them too.

I am struggling to tell my parents however. I am living away from home until mid June, and I speak to my parents every night whether it be on Skype or phone. Every time I do speak to them, and consider telling them I just can't, it's more a case of not knowing what to say. I have been asked by my mother before but I said I wasn't. There is an openly gay family member in ours, so I am doubtful of rejection; but I don't want to tempt fate. I feel like a coward :bang: . I am extremely close to my mother, and the longer I go without telling her (knowing I have told someone else) is really making me feel bad.

I know you probably see this kind of thread everyday, but any replies/advice welcome.

Thank you! (Sorry for the odd choice of username :eusa_clap )

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If your mom asked you, she probably suspects, which means you won't blindside her. That's a good thing.

How close are you to the family member who's gay? They may be a good person to tell first, and they'll also maybe be able to give you some tips on talking to the rest of the family.

3. Derivative

Derivative Guest

Unfortunately I don't have contact with them right now, since I am away and they don't really use social networking etc.

As you say, I won't blindside her and I am over thinking this situation in my opinion. With exams coming up, I would prefer to get this out of the way as soon as possible, so I'm just going to go for it tomorrow.

Thank you for replying.

4. LiquidSwords

I'm in a very similar situation, several of my friends know and even my sisters, but not my parents. I think it would be (sort of) fine, and my mum has pretty much explicitly asked me as well but I just awkwardly changed the subject instead of answering her :confused:

I desperately want to tell them, or at least I desperately want them to know, but I feel dumb to bring it up myself. My normal tactic with friends is to get really drunk beforehand but I don't normally go out with my parents, obviously :lol: so I'm just at a loss.

I guess what I'll end up doing is having to bring it up myself, at least that way they can see that it is a big deal for me to tell them, and they'll be more sympathetic I guess. But then I have the problem of which parent to tell first, because I know whichever one I don't choose will be put out a fair bit. My mum's the one who asked me and said she wouldn't mind, but I'm closer to my dad in general, so I'll feel bad either way :confused:

Not much advice there, sorry! Just your situation seemed quite similar to mine.

5. Derivative

Derivative Guest

Ahh all the best to you LiquidSwords, for when you do decide to tell them :thumbsup: . Hopefully I'll have a little update tomorrow night of how things went.