1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People are out to get me....

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Nick, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Nick

Ever feel like everyone is in on something that you aren't? Do you sometimes get the feeling that the world and everyone in it is trying to screw with your mind? Well, that has been happening to me lately (more specifically in the last week).

It's easier for me to make a list than full sentences:
    • A friend (who knows about me thinking some guys are hot and is cool with it) reckons I'm giving off vibes (although she can't describe them, but I think I am too) and setting off gaydars (including a guy who I think is hot and he is gay).
    • I've been called "gay" and "homo" numerous times by people at school (probably because I wrote g.i.n.a.s.f.s. (gay is not a synonym for shitty) on my hand
    • My parents were talking to someone about their holiday away with her daughters and the friend was saying how the daughters were fighting.
      Dad said "I'm glad you're not a girl."
      Mum said "Well, he is sometimes."
    • I've had two guys ask me out (they were both jokingly, but it still freaked me out)
    • I had a dream last night about comforting a random stranger on a different bus than the one I usually catch because he started crying while we were talking. In the dream, we swapped numbers and had a prosperous relationship (from what I remember)
    • I've started watching a soapie on TV for one of the male characters (his hair and clothing style is awesome and he acts similarly to me)

Coincidence? Or something more sinister? And remember, this is just since Monday (Saturday night now).

I don't feel like I've changed anything since last week. The only difference would be that another friend now knows about me liking the gay friend.

Any help, advice or just kind words would help and be appreciated :slight_smile:

#1 Nick, Aug 2, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  2. jony8472

Hmmm... indeed a kenundrum.

Well, it doesn't really matter what a bunch of randoms at school think because there's always gonna be people at school who think things of you. As long as you know who you can count on=)
    Well, as long as your parents still love and support you that's what matters right?
    There's nothing wrong with having a guy ask you out, I'm sure many straight guys get asked out=P Just say 'no' and if so inclined, 'I'm straight.'
    Maybe it was just a dream, maybe it was something else, the best way to find out... wait and see, but always keep in mind *STRANGER DANGER*...
    Set off a gaydar here or there, keep 'em wondering=P

Anyway, I hope something in there was vaguely helpful, and if not sorry, tried my best=P

3. Nick

The people who were calling me homo at school were people I considered to be friends...

I don't mind what my parents think of me, it just seemed like to be a huge coincidence for them to say something like that in a time when everyone seems to be questioning my sexuality.

It was more the fact that they would joke about asking me out, again, at this time. They haven't done it before or even mentioned sexuality before.

I'm actually seriously thinking of taking that bus in my dream, just to see what happens. I experience déjà vu quite frequently...

I don't mind setting off gaydars, I just want to know why I am :slight_smile:

Yes, it was helpful, thanks :grin:

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My gut feeling is that you're simply becoming more attuned to some things.

For instance, I was called "fag" and "homo" in school from time to time. Were they picking up on my "gay vibes"? Was I tripping even the homophobes' gaydars? Well, no. Because my brother was called "fag" and "homo" quite a bit, too. Possibly more than me. And he's straight. It was just name-calling, but in my case, the name actually fit. :slight_smile:

Are you starting to "give off vibes"? Probably. Why? Because you're becoming cooler with it. The fact that you're telling a few people makes you feel more comfortable about the whole thing. As such, you may do things and say things that may suggest something. Because you don't care about maintaining the facade anymore. Perhaps your parents are picking up on it, too.

The last two things, I think, prove the point. You had a dream where you met a guy, swapped phone numbers, and had a relationship. You didn't say it was a "nightmare" or a "really fucked-up dream", like someone who was afraid of an alternate sexuality might. You just said it was a dream. And you don't have an issue telling us that you watch a TV show simply because you fancy one of the characters.

Sinister? Not in the slightest. You just appear to be getting more relaxed about your sexuality.

Lex

5. Nick

You're always full of good advice Lex :slight_smile:

I seem to be surrounded by trip wires because every day I seem to set off another gaydar, this time with a comment on MySpace. I said that the necklace complemented the colour of the dress (being worn by the friend who is pretty certain I'm bi) and then (for those of you who remember) the guy who asked me out on MSN, though as a joke because he was asked by the friend who reckons i'm bi) saw the comment, told me that it set off his gaydar (AFAIK he's straight) and then he said "still a chance then?".

Speaking to the same friend as before, she said she didn't tell him to say it this time...

People just seem to be trying to screw with my mind...

Thanks again for your opinion Lex :slight_smile:

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They'd be screwing with your mind if you were absolutely 100% straight. They're simply picking up on your questioning of your sexuality. And honestly, that's probably a good thing. They're probably helping you along your "voyage of discovery", so that you're not forced to fumble through it all by yourself. (I did - it kinda sucked. :slight_smile: )

Lex