1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I deal with skeptics?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ChromeNerd, May 1, 2014.

1. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been avoiding coming out because of people who don't believe me when I try to come out to them. I know this probably isn't a big deal to most people, but it is to me.

I usually get anxious when me or other people doubt my sexuality. I get even more anxious if people provide a reasonable reason why I'm wrong about my sexuality.

I'm also not very sure of my sexuality, so I think that makes me way more vulnerable to skeptics. Sometimes I feel very sure, but when I come out most people completely ruin that feeling.

I'm starting to think I'm better at dealing with homophobes than skeptics. I know that when people say homophobic things to me on the internet it doesn't hurt me at all. I just feel amused, maybe a bit annoyed and happy that they acknowledged my sexuality.

2. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can understand what you are saying. We all seek validation in life and when it is something that is integral to who you are, it can be very upsetting when people deny it and brush it off for some illegitimate reason.

I have to be honest, it's one of the things that makes me nervous about coming out to people. I would rather deal with someone reacting badly and being mean as I can put them in their place easily. But when they just deny it outright it can make you feel uncomfortable because you revealed something intimate about yourself and they have just brushed it off.

The thing to try and remember though is that you have nothing to prove to anyone. You know who you are and how you feel. If others don't believe that then, that's just them being ignorant.

Happy days :slight_smile: