1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out by letter - how?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Wander, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've decided that I want to come out to my mother, at least. I want to tell her soon, but I'm not rushing it. I've waited months for the "right moment", for the subject to just pop up and me be able to tell her, but nothing's happened and I've gotten tired of waiting for the "perfect time". If possible, I'd like to tell her by the end of the year.

Now, I've also decided I want to do it by letter. The last time I "came out" as part of another minority to someone, I could feel my face reddening and my throat getting tighter. I'm horrible at telling my own secrets without getting extremely nervous. A letter would be the best way for me, that's already decided. What I need help with is how to go about doing it.

I'm fairly confident that my mom will be okay with it - she has a lesbian sister who she gets along with extremely well, she and her other sisters have voiced their support and defense of LGBT people more than once, and she just seems like the type of person who wouldn't be bothered by it at all. Trying to convince her it's not immoral is not going to be a problem. Aside from that, what should I include in the letter? What are some good things to include to let her know without being incredibly blunt about it?

And when to give her the letter? I'm not sure I want to give it to her in the morning or she might be unfocused at work all day, but I also want her to have time to think it over before the two of us talk about it. Any suggestions on this?

I need to wrap this up, I'm typing it from my dad's laptop and I'm certainly not out to him yet, but any other general tips on how to do this? I'm a bit nervous, understandably...

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! No worries about being nervous. It is a major step. I think it is a great idea to write a letter. I am sure it will go well.

You could include: this is hard for you and you are nervous about it; how you have known for a long time about your feelings; you do this because you love her and you want her to get to know the real you. Include what ever you feel you need to include. You know your mom. Maybe what would also help, try to think about a couple of questions that you think your mom might ask you, and try to formulate an answer in your letter to that. You can make it as short or long as you want.

Try to give her letter when she is not in a rush or when she is just walking into the house, or just about to leave for work. Try giving her the letter after dinner, when she had some time to relax for example or when she has some free time.

From the information that you have included in your post, I am sure it is going to go well.

I hope this helps!

3. Derek the Wolf

Hand her the letter when she has free time to actually read it. In it include some basic information: your orientation, yes you're sure, no it's not a phase, and tell her where to find more information (PFLAG). Give her some time to think through the information, and talk to her as soon as you can after she reads it. Just make sure you're ready when you hand it to her, and make sure you talk to her thoroughly about it afterward.

4. Sam

Sam

Let the words just flow from you if it comes completely from the heart it should be easy. I gave my mom an 8 page coming out letter and while she read the whole thing I didn't actually reveal my sexuality til the end and she told me that she was worried the whole time she was reading it thinking some really bad things until it was actually revealed so I don't suggest making it long, short and heartfelt is the way to go.

Make sure that she knows that you love her and that you want to tell her something because you want to be honest with her and you want to be able to share a part of you that you have been hiding..... something like this, like I said from the heart it should be the easy part the hard part being actually giving it to her.

Now about the time, I agree with you about not giving it to her in the morning. How about in the evening when she has had a chance to settle down after work just go up to her and give it to her and either sit there while she reads it or go to your room and wait for her to come to you. Either way after you write the letter you will know when the time is right.

I am sure everything will be fine like you said her own sister is gay and she is supportive so don't be worried about it just grit your teeth and do it and you will feel a lot better afterward.

Good luck! Don't forget to tell us how it went.

Sam

5. biisme

I also came out to my parents by letter, so, one thing to say, is make sure (if you leave it somewhere for her) that it's in a place where she'll FIND it! Hahaha..silly, but important.

I agree with everyone who has said "write from the heart." That will be the most touching part about it.

If you make the letter, I think you will know when you want to give it. And, your mom sounds very supportive of your aunt, so I thinkit will go well.

I know I just kinda repeated what other said, but mostly I want to say, "good luck!!!!!!", and be sure to update us after the fact!

6. SkyTears

An idea for a time to give the letter if you are wondering -
    If you spend the whole day or night over at a friends house - those are good times to leave it were she will find it in the house as she will most like be find it in free time and get to think it over while you are out.

Anyways - Best of luck

7. Étoile

I suggest short and sweet. I came out to my sister in a one paragraph letter. I kep the tone serious but still a bit light-hearted so it wouldn't seem too devestating and I drew a big happy face with his arms extending out for a hug. LOL She eventually understood and 2 years later, it's all good. :icon_wink

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's easy to get overconcerned about what to say, how to say it, and when to hand it to her. But try not to get hung up about it. The key thing is to get it done.

There IS no right time to tell her. There's always a good excuse why you can't give it to her now - she's on her way to work, she just got home from work, it'll ruin her weekend, she's in a good mood, she's in a bad mood. Other than some really obvious times - don't hand it to her during a wedding or a funeral, say - anytime will be fine.

I'd also favor keeping it short and sweet. Make it matter-of-fact. Don't make it sound like you're "confessing". Try to adopt a tone of acceptance. "I've come to the conclusion that I'm gay, and I'd like to start letting people know this. Since you're such an important part of my life, I think you need to be one of the first people I tell." Let her know you love her, and you'll answer any questions she might have.

If at all possible, hand her the letter in person. And stay there while she reads it. I know how hard that might be, but it'll show both how strongly you feel about it, and how much you care about her.

Lex

9. ctw0625

ctw0625 Guest

I agree completely with Lexington's points, but I want to stress that, in my opinion, the letter should be handed to to her in PERSON while you both have free time. As for staying in the room, I think that's more personal choice if you're doing it to give her privacy rather than to hide, but you should stay in the house where you'll be able to discuss it when you've finished.

10. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    The only thing that I can add is that that you head off your mothers potential fears in the letter. Nip them in the bud. For instance if you are still a virgin, tell her so. Tell her that when you do make the decision to have sex that you will use utmost caution and protection. Let her know if you want to have kids some day. That kind of stuff. Good luck!

11. Amy

Amy

i am going to say, like everyone else has, to write if from the heart. tell her what you feel, without a lot of agnst, because that may freak he out a bit (trust me, it does). you do want to make it short (-ish) and sweet. remind her that you love her. anytime except for the morning would be good, but i would think - depending on your familys way of running - after dinner would be the best. that way she can be focused at work, and have time to talk with you about it afterwards.

good luck! and keep us updated please.

(very good idea, by the way. do you mind if i borrow it? :wink: )

12. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

I agree with Becky..be yourself, she probably understands a great deal about LGBT issues....add some PFLAG stuff and tell her/ others how much you love them.

13. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Take it away, it was hardly my idea to begin with.

I'm going to delay my coming out for a month or two, there's a particular day I want to do it on, but other than that....this thread has been really helpful. Thanks, and if anyone still has advice, feel free to share it.