1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out at school

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Danielle, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Danielle

Danielle Guest

Well I have been thinking about it for a while like two months and I want to come out to everyone at school like just a few close friends at first but eventually everyone and I really really want some advice

2. tylerksub

tylerksub Guest

Been thinking the same thing. I'll wait with you for Lex to come and bring us Wisdom...

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Coming out at school is a major step to take. Take it slow. Start with a friend that you can really trust and you know will accept and support you. Take it from there. If you go slow at it and talk to your friends individually you can keep some control over your coming out. What I mean here is that you can trust them enough that they respect your decision on how you want to come out. As you become more comfortable with people knowing about your feelings you can take larger steps. But it is really up to you how you want to proceed. Remember though, the most important thing here is: you have to feel comfortable with it. Trust and follow your instincts.

I hope this helps!

4. Derek the Wolf

Be prepared for the negative responses, there will be quite a few. If you're coming out to individuals, one at a time, then you will have better reactions. However, the faster your whole school knows, the faster you can really be youself in school. It's really your choice here: either come out slowly to individuals, or tell a few people who you know will spread the information around.
    Although I haven't told everyone in my school, a few people I never told already knew (my friend I was talking to today said I was setting off hig gaydar long before I told him). Just make sure you're prepared for the negative reactions.

5. biisme

If you're planning on telling friends first, it will probably be better for you when you come out, because you'll have support? Do you think your school is accepting in general or not? Do you have a GSA?

6. Danielle

Danielle Guest

I don't think my school will be accepting in general (that is what had stopped me coming out eariler) and what is a GSA?

7. tylerksub

tylerksub Guest

GSA is gay/straight association *not sure but sounds great to me* My school has something like that but i cant find any info and lil scared to ask. I dont know anyone going to this school so i'll be looking into the club my school has for help.

8. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A GSA is short for Gay-Straight Alliance. It is an alliance that provides support and a friendly environment for gays/lesbians and their supporters. Usually a GSA has an office where members and non-members can gather and talk and provides a supporting atmosphere. Usually they will also have social events and provide advocacy.

If you don't think that your school will be accepting, I think this is one more reason to take it slow and start by coming out to the people that you trust one by one. This will help you to build up some confidence as well as the all important support network on which you can rely on.

Hope this helps!

9. Danielle

Danielle Guest

No don't have one

10. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I think it is a great idea, to join the club. It will definitively provide you with valuable support. Given that a bit scared to ask, maybe you ask someone who will keep it confidential, such as a counselor. Also, did you look it up on the web? You might find something there.

Hope this helps!

11. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry about that. I think if you take it slow though, you should be fine. As mentioned, follow your instincts and go with whatever you feel comfortable with. Take it one day at a time. Come out to one friend at a time.

12. Danielle

Danielle Guest

My school doesn't have a counselor and if we did I don't trust people that easily probably the only person I would tell is someone that is a gay bi etc teacher which to my knowledge the school also doesn't have

13. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Teachers are actually really good people to confide in. Teachers are usually bound by confidentially. For many teens, teachers are the first persons to whom they come out to. Teachers are often very supportive. But again, go with what you feel comfortable.

#13 Mirko, Aug 2, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  14. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lex isn't the only font of wisdom on this board, mes amis. Asteroid has pretty much said it all. :slight_smile:

In essence, your best and closest friends will end up being "practice". It'll give you a chance to try telling somebody about your sexuality, which words to say, how to phrase it. And it'll give you an opportunity to see what kind of reaction your "coming out" may result in, and how you might respond to that. These are people who will (presumably/hopefully) be the least judgmental, and the most willing to hear you out. A bit like skating or biking on grass - if you do fall, you'll land on spongy grass, and you'll be OK. :slight_smile: Then you can move on to pavement, once you feel good enough and confident enough that you won't fall anymore.

Lex

15. Derek the Wolf

If your school doesn't have a GSA, pick any teacher you like, and talk to him/her. You may find that your teachers can be more understanding and helpful than anyone else. Why? Because they're usually old enough to have real experience with these situations, and they can view you as someone objectively: they don't have a lot of conflicting emotions and can assist you in the most straightforward manner. Like I said earlier, coming out slowly will give you greater control and confidence, and in your situation, that's what I would recommend. Don't rush it!

16. hairdye

I know this is going to sound presumptious and all. But I find it to be fact. Coming out at school has become far more exaggerated of a step than it is. It's more of a step in accepting yourself, not others accepting you.

I mean, if you go to a religious school that might kick you out for being gay, where everyone is against homosexuality, than this doesn't apply.

However, I know that when i considered coming out, I was way afraid people would be like, OMG! EW! STEVIE IS GAY! I was wrong. Most people will be shocked and amused to find out. Most people could care less what sex you wanna screw.

And even if they do. It won't be everyone. You'll only see the dumb people for a couple more years and then everyone will get on with their lives. Don't fear it so much. Be accepting of yourself and they will accept you too.

edit: then again, considering you're transgender, idk how you're planning on coming out. Do you dress like a boy now and are planning to start dressing like a girl (or vice versa). Or are you dressing like a your gender identity and want to tell them your biological sex? Or just coming out as bi. The transgender ordel may be a little harder to deal with, I must say. So in that case, be cautious, listen to Lex. ;x

#16 hairdye, Aug 3, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  17. will4rmTX

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When I came out at school, I was kind of surprised, because I only told a few friends and they asked me if I cared if they told other people, and I was fine with it, but before I knew it the whole school knew lol, also by coming out at school I gained a lot more friends

18. Amy

Amy

^ i agree with that. :grin: ^

except for the religious part. yes, many schools may kick you out or give you a loving environment to "change" (*eye roll*), but some are very excepting and carring. it just depends on the denomination.

from my expirience, in high school less people say things to your face, than behind your back. depending on what you are going to come out as (bisexual or transgender) the reaction will be very different. remember, there will always be negative people. those are the people you will only have to deal with for only a little while longer. there will be things that people say and do that will hurt, but alot of people will be suportive.

be careful with how you say it. no matter what, it is high school and there will be those who make up stories and spread nasty rumours. but, like i said before, so many people will support you.

good luck!

19. hairdye

ugh.
    its things like that, that make people believe some of us come out just to gain friends.
    I became one of the most popular people in school after i came out.
    but it sure as hell wasn't because I'm gay.

It happened a couple months after came out. I didn't know why at first, but now I do. I became a free person. I no longer had anything to hide. I was happier. I became incredibly comfortable around people and made friends with everyone. Now Highschool is over and my popularity means nothing. which sucks but whatever.

you don't get friends because you're gay.
    and if you do, thats lame and so are those people. ;x

(I don't mean for this to sound like a personal attack on you. the idea is what i'm attacking. )

20. rosiejuly3

Well I can tell you what I did. I started by telling my mom since I knew once word got around that she would hear and I wanted her to find out by me. I already had two very close friends who knew so I then told my other close friends and let that set in with them for about a week. Then it was my friends and the people I talk to. Well word started to spread to their best friends and then everyone knew. It was pretty easy, but make sure you tell your closet friends first.