1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice in coming out letter...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by rabbithearted, May 2, 2014.

1. rabbithearted

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Advice on coming out letter...

this is a little lengthy and a draft (so excuse grammatical errors) but I would really appreciate some feedback. This is for one of my best friends. She's very religious but also accepting. I just don't know what her reaction will be.

This is probably one of the scariest things I’ve done. Talking about my personal life has ever been easy, so I thought writing these words would be easier. I have always felt like the life I was living wasn’t my own and I never felt like the authentic version of myself.That been said, there’s a part of my life that I’ve been struggling with for years and I’ve felt like I could get over it if I didn't speak about it. I’m gay.
    I think I’ve known for a very long time, since high school, but fear of not being loved for who I am has stopped me from being truly happy. I dont feel comfortable in the world I’ve created for myself. It doesn't feel natural and thoroughly I feel trapped. All these thoughts and fears have been suffocating me for years.

I’m finally in a point in my life where I’m choosing to develop my self worth, and I’ve come to the conclusion that I should live my life the way I choose to, not the way others want me to. I have never been more relieved than when I came to that realization. I can not fully accept this part pf who I am and I have never been more proud. Sorry, if this shatters the perception you have of me and I really hope we can continue to be friends.

You’re truly the best and have been like a sister to me. I came to *** not knowing who I was, and I’ve struggling to figure that out. 3 years later and I’m still unsure, but I would love nothing more than to have your blessing on this journey. This is not a phase that I’ll “grow out of”. This is my life.
    I’m choosing to tell you this because I’m tired of lying and pretending that I’m okay with the way my life is going. I want to move forward in my life knowing that I’m being ME all the time. And being me is going to involve having a family with a women at some point. I would love nothing more than to have you there in my life as I accomplish all these things. What I don’t want is for you to feel uncomfortable or have this friendship feel forced. This part of my life is a small portion of who I am, that I want to share with you.

I would love nothing more than to sit down and talk to you about this.I’m sure you have plenty of questions (or not). I just didn’t know how to begin the conversation without bursting out into tears. And we all know how much I hate crying haha.

Thanks for everything

#1 rabbithearted, May 2, 2014
    Last edited: May 2, 2014
  2. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, this is an amazing letter. You really had ME crying reading it. Really I think it's nearly perfect with only the possible exception of the last sentence in the second paragraph. Assuming she might take this news negatively really isn't fair and it might cause her to unnecessarily act defensive. Good luck, she's lucky to have you as a friend!

3. rabbithearted

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks so much! Trust me, tears were shed as I wrote it. Rereading that sentence I see how that can be misconstrued. I appreciate it!