1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taking the first step with therapy SHARE

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MyTruth2013, May 3, 2014.

1. MyTruth2013

I have been thinking about going to a therapist for the last couple of years, it has taken so long just due to lack of motivation! I've finally decided to go and had set up a phone consult with a local therapist who specializes with LGBT issues, among other things. I was so nervous! I'm talking sweating, barely sleeping the night before the phone call! I had done my research both on the whole how to interview a potential therapist, as well as the therapist themselves. I listed out my questions... But wasn't ready when asked the following: "What type of councilling are you looking for?" UGH. My stomach dropped. Why? Because for the first time I was going to have to admit to someone who A. Doesn't know me B. Probably will in the near future, that I am GAY! Even with coming out to my sister and friend I didn't actually say the words per say. I know, I know... It was most likely obvious since it was listed as one of their primary specialties. BUT! this was huge for me! The therapist quickly put me at ease! I am hopeful and optomistic about these coming sessions! Just wanted to write this experience down. Do a little sharing, get some of the anxiety out! Thanks for reading!

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I can easily imagine that it was difficult at first and that it brought out quite a bit of anxiety, but it is great you have found the motivation to see a therapist in trying to becoming more comfortable with your sexuality and also to understand yourself better.

Coming out to others, and being able to say the word, 'gay' will become easier with time. :slight_smile: