1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, I want to come out, but is it a good idea?? Help please!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by CuriousArticles, May 4, 2014.

1. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I'm kind of starting to become more sure of my sexuality, mostly, although I'm not sure my head is accepting it as much as I thought it would. And basically, I'm really tired of lying and hiding etc.

I've told my sister and best friend that I might not exactly be straight, and now I'm pretty sure I'm bisexual, but not 100%. I'm a little messed up in the getting close to people department, so it's tricky. I've tried to broach the subject with my best friend to kind of update her as we haven't exactly talked about it much, but I can't seem to get on topic. And my sister has so much going on atm, I'll have to wait til she's dealt with all her stress and stuff. It feels like I have to make this huge announcement, but I don't want it to be a big deal :frowning2: I feel kind of sick with nerves just thinking of it.

I've got a pretty cool family and set of friends, so most of them would react fine to it (my mum regularly reassured my sister and I that she'd be okay if we were gay!!!) but I'm not sure it's a good idea, if I'm not 100% sure. The problem is I'm sick of living a lie, even if it turns out I'm not. I hate secrets. Also, if more of my friends knew, then they might even be able to help me.

Is it a good idea to come out? Even if I'm not 100% sure, and slightly (read quite a bit) uncomfortable with myself?

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You should only come out when you think it would help you. Right now, being in the closet is causing you stress, and so it's better to come out even if your sister and friend appear busy. Just the act of coming out will help your self-esteem, and, as you said, the more people you're out to, the more support you have.

Yesterday, I came out to a friend I hadn't seen in a while because I found him on an online dating site. He's the first person I know in real life whom I came out to, and I think the reason I chose to approach him is because I was having a lot of stress with work, and so I realized I can't have this added stress of being in the closet dragging me down, as well. We haven't met, yet, but his support through messages was really a big boost for me.

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The way I read it, your problem isn't so with much coming out, it's what to come out as. Is that about right?

You've already acknowledged that you might not exactly be straight, but at no point have you said you are gay, or even thinking that you might be. So although you are not 100% certain, it does seem that you are as certain as you can be that you are bisexual. If I were in your position, I would come out as bi now. If you feel as though you are living a lie and keeping secrets, coming out could liberate you from these feelings.

Okay, it might be that you feel more attracted to the same sex or opposite sex further down the line, but right now (in the present moment) you feel certain you are bi. All you are really doing is confirming your present feelings to people you love and care about. If your feelings change in future, so be it - don't let that possibility dictate the present situation in your life. We can only live in the here and now and make the most of it.

4. RvP

RvP

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You should come out if you can trust your friend or your siblings. Im only 14 and i came out to my best guy friend, i told him i was gay and i happen to be in love with him, but he said he accepted me for who i am. Sorry if offended you in any way. But after you come out idk if you will get this feeling, but it felt really great to get that secret off my chest.

5. Sigrid

Coming out doesn't have to be a big deal. You don't have a make a big announcement, just sort of mention it to them when it seems like a good time, like if it seems relevant to the conversation or the topic is already a bit personal.

6. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks, for all your advice guys :slight_smile:

Yes and no. I think I'm sure that I'm bi, but I'm not sure how I feel about it. Like I haven't accepted myself yet, hence the dilemma...

Well, I might be, I don't really know. My experience is pretty limited, and unlikely to increase without coming out, if I'm honest. potentially it could go either way...or both. it feels pretty complicated, but where I currently stand, I'm bisexual.

I'm really hoping it will...When I told my sister I'm not straight I felt better. But saying I'm not straight (or sure) was easier than saying I'm bi. I'm worried that saying it will be a lie - and the problem starts all over again. I know it's not that unusual to worry this. But I'm still worried my mind is inventing it all - I a bit messed up when it comes to getting romantically close to people anyway, and haven't got a lot to go on...

I'm also worried about people taking me seriously. I feel bad for saying it, but I feel like my best friend (who is also bi) didn't exactly take me seriously. But then again, I feel awkward talking about it. She and I don't exactly have the same approach to attraction.

But i think you're right about living in the here and now though. I'm going to try and face things as they come. I guess there's no point worrying about what may never come to be...

You haven't offended me! I think I'll try and come out properly to my friends, and my sister when she's got less to deal with. I think it will make me feel better - and I like to think they wouldn't judge me if I realised I got it wrong. It would be nice to have the support. I'm glad your friend was so cool about it :slight_smile: sounds like a great guy!

That was kind of how I told my sister, but I can't seem to bring it up with her or my best friend without saying "hey! Let's start this conversation about my sexuality! flashing neon sign anyone??". And anytime I do bring it up casually, the conversation moves on before I get a chance to say anything in particular :S But I guess it'll happen when it happens? Could just go for the casual shock factor - no one thinks I might not be straight!! There are even anecdotes to prove it.

So much for living here and now!! How bad is it that I haven't even come out yet, but I'm already going through scenarios in my head on how to come back in? All I can think is that I can always tell them it was just a phase! Which is stupid. Gah! Well, huge respect for those already out. Seriously.

7. Sigrid

It seems to me that you are overthinking this. You already said that your friends and family are pretty accepting, so I don't think you have anything to worry about. But if you're not comfortable with coming out yet, think of it this way: You're not keeping a secret from them - you'd tell them if they asked, right? And as long as you never tell them you're straight, then you haven't lied to anyone either. The fact that I sometimes draw half-naked girls is no secret, and I'd show them to my mum if she asked, but I don't feel like I am obliged to run and tell her right away. I know, that's very trivial compared to telling someone about your sexuality, but you get my point.

8. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Maybe I am over thinking it. I don't know. It's only recently that I've confronted this, and I definitely have denied being gay and said I was straight to certain people while trying to figure it out, because, well you can guess. So I feel like it's assumed now. Established. And I need to correct it :frowning2: How do you do that without making it a big deal???

I'm in a better position to admit it if someone asks now, but I feel like I've missed the boat on it, and I'm living a lie, and it kinda sucks. I don't want to feel like this. I really want to talk it through with my sister but last time I just didn't know what to say, and she has SO much to deal with right now. And my best friend has 2 jobs, and I work her only day off, and her dad has just come out of hospital so we don't get much time together, much less privacy to talk. One of my other close friends is visiting in a few weeks, so I might be able to work up the courage to tell her, but that one's a full blown coming out.

I'm feeling really anxious now. And I don't know if it's because I want to come out or the thought of coming out. I should start yoga or something. This is silly - I'm in a better position than a lot of people coming out, why do I feel like this?

9. TwinNumber2

TwinNumber2 Guest

The last paragraph sounds exactly like how I feel. I'm so depressed/anxious despite having parents and friends who have no issue with my sexuality and I'm not sure if this is because I really don't want to come out or I really need to come out the closet. Its a really horrible and confusing time for me right now. I think telling your Mum sounds a good idea. Explain to her that you're feeling confused. When I came out to my Mum it was a huge relief and confidence boost. Plus you're Mum is the only person you ever have to tell if you want to. She's your Mum, she is bound to keep it a secret and understand if it turns out you aren't bi. So what if you've denied being gay? I denied being gay constantly but when I came out to my friends they weren't angry that I'd lied. They just said that they understood why I hid it. Good luck :slight_smile:

Good luck

10. AAASAS

[​IMG]This is all I have to say :

and I'm being serious. Do it. You will feel like an idiot for not doing it sooner.

11. Sigrid

12. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Okay, WooEEE, that has genuinely made me laugh. And I'm grinning every time I look at it and I don't know why! This has definitely made me feel better!!

@TwinNumber2 telling my mum is difficult as I rarely have time alone with her, let alone time to work up the courage! There's always either my step dad around or 2 year old sister demanding attention, so we never get to talk, and when we do it's just an odd hour :/ I might not tell her unless there's something in particular to tell, or if it comes up at a convenient time as I'm not ready for my step dad to know and would feel kind of bad asking her to keep secrets from him, particularly something this huge.

I'm gonna try. Next opportunity I get with someone. Every time I get too anxious I'm gonna look at that picture now! Deep breaths. Wow, nerves setting in already! Haha. This is gonna be weird...