1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you "come out" to yourself?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by confuseduser99, May 4, 2014.

1. confuseduser99

Hey everyone,

I've now been on EC for just over a week, and it's really made me reflect a lot upon my sexuality. I'm almost certain that I'm gay, but I still can't seem to admit it to myself. If you've been following my threads (see here for an example: http://emptyclosets.com/forum/sexua...e-im-turned-still-need-help-soo-confused.html), you'd find that I'm slowly warming up to the idea that I might be gay.

Again, I can't seem to bring myself to actually say that I'm gay. Have any of you experienced this (the self-denial stage), and if so, how did you ultimately deal with it?

2. Jethro702

Yes, I experienced a self-denial phase... Where I was thinking that these thoughts/attractions would go away if I did certain things. Mostly cause I had been taught that same sex attractions were an absolute wrong... After awhile I came to the realization these thoughts/attractions were not going away, no matter what I did and that is when I was able to accept myself for who I was.

3. mickey1101

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For me I still have a hard time saying I'm gay although intellectually I know it and all that. I'm not really over it but I'm learning to just make slow steps toward excepting it and if I can't at the time I simply say "not straight." I don't know how much help this was but yeah.

4. Gort

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, as someone who was aroused by guys from age 11 and didn't admit it until getting overly invested in a gay sitcom plot line while drunk at age 28, you're doing better than me! But yes, given the amount of time we spend in a heteronormative environment and, in your case, in a conservative Christian environment, it can certainly take time to reprogram our self concept. It took time to get comfortable saying "I'm gay" out loud to myself, let alone another person. It takes practice.

5. confuseduser99

Thanks for the responses.

If I remember correctly Jethro702, you mentioned on another thread that you're also a Christian. How have you been able to deal with the fact that you're gay and a follower of Christ (which I am)? Have you also come out to your parents? I think my mom would be okay with it, but I'm not so sure about my dad.

I also see that you're from Warner Robins, GA (near Macon). How do you live in GA as a gay person? I've been in your neck of the woods several times, and it isn't the most gay-friendly area (although I LOVE GA, and the South. I want to live there, but if I become open about my sexuality, I'm not sure how that would work out...).

6. Jethro702

Well, I began researching many things one what the bible and Jesus said on homosexuality. While Jesus says nothing of the sort about it the bible does seem to condemn it. Most people use 6 tiny verses out of the bible, out of context to suite their need to condemn homosexuals... Closer inspection and actually reading in context cleared it all up for me. Plus, Prayer... I did this a lot trying to get rid of the gay, It didn't work. I prayed on the subject of how God would feel about me and came to the conclusion he would love me no matter what I am. I haven't came out to my parents yet, though I may have caused doubt in their minds that I am straight, but I just can't seem to tell them... mostly because I'm scared of how they might react.

Well, Simply I don't act how most people would stereotypically view gay people and because no one in my real life knows. You are right though there isn't many places for LGBT people to go and some people can be very harsh in what they say, but most seem to have the courtesy to keep it to themselves, plus I have a few gay friends... *most of my friends are actually* but I can't seem to tel them either.

7. stillhidden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Heh, yeah.. living in Georgia is definitely not the ideal place to be if you are gay. I've lived here all my life, and I would love to move somewhere else eventually. Most of my friends and family are here, so that's the only reason why I stick around.

8. confuseduser99

Interesting. Yeah, I'm reading up on gay Christians, and I'm warming up to the idea that the bible doesn't truly condemn gays (and even if it does, it condemns so many other actions, yet Christians don't speak out about them they way they do with homosexuality - ex. adultery). As for the parents, I know what you mean. I'm scared of what my dad may think. My mom on the other hand seems to think that I am gay (she's asked my sisters about this several times...). She's also said in front of me that she doesn't think that being gay is a choice. When we were on vacation, some gay guys were flirting with a waiter at a restaurant, and my mom said point blank "they can't choose to be gay. Why would they put themselves through that? I believe that they were born that way". I also feel as if my sisters have their suspicions about me.

This is all really tearing me apart, especially since I just moved back in with the family this week for the summer. The same time I move back in is the same time that I start to really come to terms with my sexuality. I've been thinking about it virtually every hour of every waking day (and apparently, in my sleep as you've seen in my other posts).

---------- Post added 4th May 2014 at 11:29 PM ----------

This really disappoints me though. I LOVE Georgia. I want to live there, but clearly that would be tough! Even if I don't live the stereotypical "gay lifestyle" (which I probably will not), it still would be a challenge.

It really is a shame. I LOVE the South. Everyone who knows me knows this about me!

9. Jethro702

I used to think about it everyday, all the time. As for coming out to my family, I don't think I can do it until I move out, none of them seem accepting in any aspect of the subject, though I do not shy away from expressing my opinions on the matter, something which causes tension sometimes, since I think so differently then they do. Now what I think about every moment is telling someone, I just don't have the courage to even tell friends I know who could care less..

10. stillhidden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, I live in a more rural area which is probably a lot worse with people who are very anti-gay. Atlanta would be a decent place to live in Georgia, I think. I've considered moving there because I'd still be in range of my family.

11. confuseduser99

Ideally, I'd love to live in/near Cartersville. That's also pretty rural, but not too far away from Atlanta (about an hour or so). Maybe one day the South will be more gay friendly (I feel weird saying this since in all honesty, I used to be SOOO homophobic. I used to say that I'd move down South because of the homophobia - stupid hereronormative society).

12. mangotree

Wallace: "Just a bit of harmless brain alteration, that's all."

Practice makes perfect.
    This might sound a bit weird.

Try writing or typing it a bunch of times first and see how it feels.
    Repetitive thoughts (forced or otherwise) have a habit of sticking until you replace them with something else.

Write something like "I deeply and completely love and accept myself and my gayness".
    Write it as many times as you feel is appropriate.
    Try to smile as much as you can while doing it.

Then you can try looking yourself in the eyes in the mirror and repeating it over and over in your head. Still smiling.

Then looking in the mirror and speaking it out loud over and over. Still smiling.

Once you've successfully brainwashed yourself, saying it to other people will be a lot easier. If that's what you actually want.

13. confuseduser99

Haha. I've been looking at myself in the mirror lately and saying to myself in my mind "am I gay? Do I look gay? I feel gay, but is this the face of gayness?" Maybe I'll try to write it down on a piece of paper. It just feels weird saying it to yourself.

14. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi!

Perhaps you can focus, not on the word "gay" but on the implications. This means thinking about what it would be like to have an emotional and sexual relationship with a guy.

Try this thought-experiment: imagine your boyfriend is coming to your place this afternoon, and when you greet him, you take his hands and kiss him...How does this scenario make you feel? Listen to your gut...worked for me!

15. lovely lesbian

You just practice a lot I did looked in the mirror and said it over and over again and I was in denial for a while but I helped me

16. confuseduser99

I've done this, and I get turned on. That may also be because I'm imagining a dream guy, although to be fair, most straight men fantasize about a dream girl that isn't real.

17. themoose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think everyone goes through a self-denial stage. It took me a good few years before I finally realised that I was kidding myself, and that I was in fact gay. It's just a matter of time - let yourself experience different things and then you'll wake up one day beside someone and think that yes, this is right. This is what you want.

18. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not a bad thing to imagine an ideal guy or girl, it sharpens our desire and clarifies what we are looking for...

19. confuseduser99

Another thing I've realized is that I can envision the "perfect girl" for me, but I don't feel much. Like I feel happy in terms of living a normal life and all, but it's not like when I envision the "perfect guy". When I envision him, I feel warm, and get slightly aroused (like right now for example).

Is that normal during the self-denial stage?

20. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't know if it is normal when under "denial" but it is normal to feel this way when gay...