1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

came out to cousin

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by tier2, May 5, 2014.

1. tier2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I decided to come out to my cousin today. I texted him and asked him if he could keep a secret and if I can tell him something. I told him I had been lying a long time and I was actually gay. He asked if I was joking and I told him no. He told me that we are still family and friends. I feel relieved that I finally told someone but also I feel mentally drained and scared. Is this a normal feeling? I'm still scared of rejection even though he said we are still friends.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah that sounds about right...think about it, your brain must have come up with a million ways that situation could go wrong, it takes a lot out of you!

It does get easier over time :slight_smile:

3. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, that's pretty normal. The deeper you are in the closet, the scarier it is to come out. Its not that you are going to be any different, it's that you don't know if other people are going to be decent and reasonable or homophobic reactionary jerks. That is what causes the stress, other people making a big deal out of what really isn't, when they really shouldn't.

4. Congratulations! I came out to two of my cousins recently. I know the feeling of being drained yet relieved. And their reaction was the same as your cousin's. This is great news! I'm happy for you!

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Congratulations on coming out! It's fantastic that you decided to send him the text and let him know. Well done! :slight_smile:

As the previous posters have mentioned, it is completely normal to have the feelings you are experiencing. Coming out can take some energy out of you as you are trying to let go of the very walls that you built to protect yourself. But with every coming out, you will find that it will become easier.