1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

where is that "relieved feeling" after coming out to a parent?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by easter, May 5, 2014.

1. easter

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hello
    2 weeks ago I finally found the courage to come out to my sister. She was very accepting about the whole thing and im very glad I told her at this point because it has been hard to keep this out from my family. I felt very relieved after this.

A few days after I came out to my sister, I told my mom the same thing and i cant get my mind straight on this one...
    Sure, she was "accepting". She told me she loves me anyway and that I can take home a girlfriend without complications blahblah but I really dont know. She didnt ask any questions at all and she didnt show any positive attitude during the short conversation we had wich i really though she would do:frowning2:
    It feels like she doesnt mean what shes telling me. Even tho me and my mom doesnt have that good contact when it comes to private things, we have always done things togheter and always been good friends. I can read her as a open book and I know she doesnt like this whole thing even ho shes telling me its OK. I cant take this...Its silent all the time when im alone with her and she kind of look down into the table more than usual :frowning2: It feels like she have taken a distance from me :frowning2:
    I guess i may have to give her some time but it was more than a week ago I told her...

Can some1 pls talk me to the right road? I feel so uncomfortable to be home and around her. I just wanna make her proud of me but i cant :'( Im so sad and i dont know what to do

2. Dallen

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well done on having the courage to come out, when I came out for the first couple of times it was really scary, because it is an important moment. Luckily for me 98% of people who I have told/have found out have been absolutely outstanding, and this really is the way that it should be as they genuinely love and respect me, as I know I do in return. However there have been instances where this process has gone less well, and from how you describe it your experience seems somewhat similar to when I told my mother (the second person I told) and my, still present, fear of telling my father. I certainly felt extremely uncomfortable around my mother at least for a while, but it really really does get better. I think almost anyway it goes parents are going to be tricky my mother was certainly by far the hardest to tell and I have told quite a few people. With regards to going forward I would hope that her attitude will improve because she loves you, you probably just have to try to make her see that nothing has changed you are still you, all that has changed is that you are being honest about who you are. You mention questions, whenever I tell someone new I tend to ask if they have any questions and some people do and some don't that I think is just who they are as people are different, some ask questions later when having conversations with you, for instance my friend who asked me questions after he had subsequently came out to me as bisexual. As your parent it is probably a big thing to deal with and may well, I don't know, have come as a bit of a shock, but I think all you can really do is trust her to come round as I know the mothers of others of my gay friends have. I believe that the relieved feeling will hopefully come in time but it is to a great extent a personal journey and one which you will have to forge most of the way yourself. I found that the best way to deal with the process was to tell people individually and tell them when it felt right, when I had an instinct that I no longer wanted to hide who I was from my friends who I can honestly say that I love. I think also it is important to come out on your own terms, this is what Tom Daley talked about in his youtube coming out video, if you haven't seen it watch it! On that note youtube is really helpful it has loads really helpful coming out videos, for instance without Troye Sivan's video ( http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JoL-MnXvK80 ) the number of people I would have told would have stayed at two, there are enough that at least one of them you will really relate to like I did with his, and this may help (or may not of course everyone is different). I felt that relieved feeling much quicker after telling friends and had to really wait a while before it came about with parents, but trust me when it does the acceptance will be worth it.

3. FancyGummy

MA, UNITED STATES, FURTHER DETAILS UNKNOWN
    I get what you're going through - I'm in a similar situation... From what I've seen, she might just be very worried and distressed, feeling as though your life will be harder because you aren't straight. That's very difficult for parents to get past. Have you told her that you can tell something's wrong? Maybe she would explain?

4. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think mentioning that you know something's up might help her to tell you what's wrong. It's quite likely that she's just in denial or doesn't want it to be true. Someone can be supportive without wanting something to be true. Like PummelMuffin said, she might think that it'll make your life harder, which is quite possible, and no parent wants their kid's life to be harder than it needs to be.