1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents might make me wear girly stuff

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GayNurse95, May 5, 2014.

1. GayNurse95

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ugh.
    I have been struggling with my gender ID for awhile now. I am thinking I am both genders, male and female. I prefer to wear guy clothes, but for the most part, be referred to as either "They" or she or he. I do not like doing girly things at all, and I hate the idea of wearing really girly clothing. I am, however, comfortable with being in gender neutral or male's clothes. I am attracted to females, and I measure my sexuality as A female.
    However, I prefer to present myself as a male. I can be called either.
    Okay, its hard to explain, but I consider myself a part of both genders.
    Anyhoo, I came out to my parents as a lesbian. They are still having a bit of a hard time with accepting it, but they'll get there. The problem is with my step mom. and MY dad. They are going to get me an outfit to wear for graduation, and I fear it might be girly. How do I tell them? And what should I do?

2. Beetle

I would try and talk to them about it. Are you afraid of having to wear something like a dress, or are you comfortable in something more gender neutral? Or do you want to dress in something more masculine like a suit and tie? I don't like dresses or girly clothes either so I usually wear a nice pair of pants, a jacket or blazer.

Try to go shopping for your outfit with them too, and you can try on things you like without having to worry about them going out and getting an outfit they like.

How old are you? I can see why it would be hard if you're still living under their rules. If it doesn't work out, it's only for a day and hopefully you won't have to wear it again.