1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you do it?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by JustAKid, May 5, 2014.

1. JustAKid

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Even though I'm still figuring things out (though pretty sure I'm a lesbian) I'm thinking of how I'm going to come out to my parents, I kind of came out (as Bi) a few years ago when I had my first girlfriend but feel I need to do it properly.
    Last time was awkward I did it after dinner so we were all sat down together but it was so hard to find the words and I kept putting it off until we'd all finished and then pretty much went out straight after, and we never talked about it.
    I'm wondering if there's a better way to do it, maybe a letter, or telling them one at a time.
    Also I was wondering about how to come out to extended family (aunts/uncles/cousins I don't see so often) I make YouTube videos (vlogs) so was wondering if that would be an ok way to do it or just wait until it comes up or something?

2. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

Quote by Benjamin Mee:

Nothing really profound else here c:
    Just be smart about it, probe around on the subject. A good indicator without outting yourself is to ask on their views of same-sex marriage. 10/9 doctors say this is a good way to tell if your family supports or doesn't support the LGBT community.

As for the way to do so, it depends on the person. If they understand you might not do well face-to-face and won't be able to answer all their questions, most would be fine with a letter, but then there are just those people who will say that it is impersonal to do so, again find out what sort of person they are and hope for the best!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do :grin: