1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mixed signals from a guy friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jer, May 5, 2014.

1. Jer

Jer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi everyone, I'm Jer, and I've come out to a couple of close friends and my family.

Last year, I became friends with this guy because we shared a class together. Now, we're both seniors in high school, and since the beginning of this year we've grown abit closer. I didn't think much of it at the time, but he began to get very touchy with me at the beginning of the school year. For example, whenever I would be sitting around him or be with him, he would hug me, put his arm over my shoulder, or rest his head on me. I've seen him put his arm over his other guy friends' shoulders, so I just assumed he did these things on a regular basis with his other friends. However, my friends have told me that the way he touches me seems more intimate. You could say I'm crushing on him, so whenever he does get touchy, I just let it happen.

We also attend the same club meetings, and he always asks me to sit with him over choosing to sit with his other friends who are also in the club. He also has told me on multiple occasions that he's going to miss me when we graduate because he's grown fond of me this year.

Now, I don't really understand how these things work, but my friends have told me that paying attention to his eye contact could hint to how he feels about me. I've noticed that he always looks me directly in the eye and we don't generally look elsewhere when we talk to each other. I'm not sure if this is something that's worth acknowledging, though, because I would think that people look at each other when they talk, correct? Another thing is that he never really texts me but rather calls me whenever he needs something or wants to make plans. Okay, time for a story (sorry for this ultra long rant I've just been meaning to get this off my chest and get other people's opinions on it).

We went out to dinner the other day and he wasn't as touchy as usual and asked me questions about my life. In particular, the one question he asked that I've been hung up on was if I've ever had a girlfriend. I told him that I never have and the conversation topic moved on to something else. I want to say that he was just completely curious but part of me is telling myself that there was a deeper meaning behind him asking that question.

To my knowledge, he's never had a girlfriend and hasn't "hooked up" with anyone. What does this all mean? Is there possibly something there or am I just mistaking his friendliness for deeper feelings? I've been trying to tell myself that he doesn't mean anything and he's just being a friendly guy or just weirdly touchy, but at the same time, I want there to be something there because I really do like him. I'm not sure if I should tell him that I'm gay. I wouldn't directly tell him I like him, but just let him know that I do like guys to see his initial reaction. Would this be unwise? What are your opinions on this whole thing?

Thanks so much for reading this whole thing!

2. RvP

RvP

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Tell Him your gay. BE LIKE NIGGA I'M GAY! lol im just kidding but, I have a question... Do you like him???? If you do like him, you make it sound awkward that you do then. If you do like him just enjoy all the things he is doing. There could be a problem though if you tell him your gay he might now want to get a close to you as he is now. If he is a true friend he will understand. Im 14 and gay and i told my best guy friend im gay. I then told him "Do you hate me, now that you know my sexuality? he said "Not at all we are still good friends" I didnt tell him i liked him but yea. The way you talk about your friend makes him sound like a understanding guy. Once i told my friend i was gay it felt so great to finally get that off my chest and just breath. Then it made me feel worried but he didnt care. We still are great friends. Sorry if i offend you in any way but.... Yeahh i think im done. -RvP