1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my cousins

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Lovethemdudes, May 5, 2014.

1. Came out to some extended family recently!

Once was over Facebook chat with my dad's half-cousin. We hadn't talked for a while and just started chatting. Then, I started asking her for dating advice about "this person" and how my parents wouldn't approve if I was dating "them". She said, "As we both know, I follow you on Instagram and don't know any straight guys that post man crush Mondays, as you do. If I'm wrong, I totally feel rude."

So she proceeded to tell me that she'd suspected that I was gay for a while. I confessed to her that I was and thanked her for accepting me when she told me she did. She also told me she'd been with a few girls, and we talked about how our families are in denial, but will probably be over it after a while.

Came out to my mom's cousin two days ago over the phone while we were both tipsy...She was great and accepting about it, and said that she and her mom for a while had suspected that I was gay and were waiting for this day. She agreed to keep it a secret for however I want it to be one, and that if I need help coming out to my parents or anyone, she would be there for me.

I feel so relieved that people in my extended family are accepting, and I suspected that these two particular people would be. I'm really close to my mom's cousin, and I knew she was suspicious, so I'm glad I have someone to confide in. I talked to her about it yesterday too, and how my mom is in denial. She was shocked and offered to be with me when I talk to her about it. I am a bit anxious about it all still, but it just feels better to have a few people in the family know the truth.

2. KnownSecret

Congrats to coming out to your cousins! I just recently came out to my cousin and my aunt in the same day. My cousin told me that he knew I was gay, which is understandable considering I have been really opening up and acting more like myself ever since I started coming out. Like you, I felt greatly relieved because my family has been so amazing and I'm happy to be in such an open minded environment. I hope you can convince your mom and that she accepts you just as your cousins have. Sounds like you have some great support to help you with your mom, or anyone else that you plan on coming out to in the future. Again congrats on your victory!

3. Thanks KnownSecret! I am glad to hear things are going up for you as well.

4. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    :lol:

Anyways, congrats :grin: :eusa_clap

5. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm really happy for you! I have a lot of cousins, but we've known each other forever (many of them used to live very close to me), and it would really be nice to have their support.