1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out as bi, advice?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by aurorabourne, May 6, 2014.

1. aurorabourne

aurorabourne Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Okay so I'm 97% sure I'm bisexual but I have a seriously dry sense of humour so firstly I'm worried they won't believe me and second, I'm really not an emotional person at ALL. I mean I literally never talk about my 'feelings' or cry very often or even tell my family I love them. I'm so closed off and jaded for many different reasons but how the heck am I supposed to do the whole coming out thing if I'm useless at the easy stuff? Cry. Also every time I seriously start to consider coming out, I start to doubt my sexuality and that makes this whole process do much worse. I guess there's that whole 'what if I'm totally wrong and actually realise I'm straight' thing also putting pressure on the situation... oh idk

2. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

Hello there,

I'll try to make my first post a useful one, and give you my opinion on the matter, which will hopefully be useful to you:

First of all:

97% sounds like quite a percentage. It's almost 100%.
    It's probably very important to think about what made you 97% but not 100% certain.
    Feel heavily attracted to both genders? Love to look at both lads and lasses?
    Maybe the 97% are because you love and entertain the idea of having a shag with the sex you're certain about, but simply haven't done it yet, please excuse my language.

Now if that's the only thing stopping you from being 100% certain, I think you can relax. From my own personal experience, if you're 97% already, you're a 100%. You won't "suddenly" flip off a switch in your brain and stop thinking about that one sex forever.
    Yes, I personally just went and tried it out, to get to 110%, but deep down, I really knew the answer way before I've done that.

I think you know the answer yourself, and I think you can be 100% sure about it.
    I'd suggest trying to think about that so you stop doubting yourself every time you plan to come out.

About coming out itself:
    Why make a big deal out of it?
    Yes, you like that other sex as well - so what? People will just have to deal with it.
    It's fine. It seriously is.

You could also use your dry sense of humour to make it easier on everyone but most importantly yourself - Bisexual? Hey, that's brilliant - You get twice the fun.

And if you worry about your family going all "But are we going to get grandchildren?", well you can just tell them to hope that the lads treat you better than the lasses.

And about the "what if I'm wrong" part... well if you are wrong (and I doubt it), nothing has really changed. And even if you told people, maybe you just settled for one partner, maybe you just happened to fall in love with people of one sex time and time again. Really, you don't even answer to people going "But didn't you say you were bi...", if anything, give them a dry "Well, I just happened to fall in love with X, and that's all there is to it".

Ultimately, I strongly believe that at some point in your life, someone will come along and make you a 110% certain about your sexuality. Probably sooner than later. Till then, just go with what your body, heart, mind and soul tell you. And seems to be very, very close to 100%.

Hope this helped...

Cheers,
    Raven

#2 Black Raven, May 6, 2014
    Last edited: May 6, 2014
  3. aurorabourne

aurorabourne Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thank you so much, that was beyond helpful! You're right I guess I do know I just feel like I have to prove it to myself before I can carve it in stone y'know? But thank you for putting it all in perspective and my mind at rest, you don't know how much you've helped me :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

4. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

I'm very happy to hear it!
    Glad I could help out.

Now go forth, and be proud of who you are - unique and awesome. (*hug*)